Scrambled Eggs

yup

1 Like

Thanks to trying this I really like scrambled eggs made into salad:

In fact I liked this so much that outside of Ottolenghi’s curried egg and cauliflower salad I don’t think I’ll bother making egg salad with boiled eggs again.
I used kefir cream rather than labne. Really tasty and quick breakfast in a spinach tortilla!

2 Likes

I just watched the video and I’m intrigued in a slightly apprehensive way. Did you chill the salad or leave it warm/lukewarm? And how was the texture? I feel like scrambled eggs are so tender that this would effectively be a bowl of mush with chunks of gherkin, which just seems
weird.

I liked it because I think it has more texture than when eggs are boiled, but as I’ve said, my preference is for fluffy eggs with large, distinct curds, so mine were likely cooked a bit more than hers. I didn’t chill.
The eggs cool pretty fast and so by the time I warmed my tortilla they weren’t hot, at which point I mixed in the kefir cream and other ingredients. I scrambled the eggs with the scallions to begin with. I didn’t have the gherkins because I forgot about them, but they would probably be good. I also probably used more kefir cream per egg than she did since I just added to taste and made a couple of eggs. I mean when you think about it the only thing that makes it seem weird is calling it egg salad, because it’s ultimately scrambled eggs enriched with tangy yogurt. It’s not that far off from scrambled eggs with a dollop of crùme fraiche.

Similarly the Ottolenghi egg salad recipe I like so much isn’t chilled and contains a hefty dose of yogurt:

https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/curried-egg-cauliflower-salad/wtek3ygv

I recently saw scrambled eggs used for an egg salad sandwich here as well, but here they’re just eggs enriched with mayo really.

4 Likes
1 Like

I have one of those coil whisks. Works great for scrambled eggs.

Ron Popeil, of Pocket Fisherman, Veg-O-Magic, Showtime Rotisserie fame, didn’t like thoroughly scrambled eggs. So he invented the Inside the Eggshell Egg Scrambler.

Evidently the pin goes inside the egg shell and scrambles the contents.

It was not one of his best sellers.

No, I don’t have one😂

5 Likes

We had one. My partner loved it. And then it broke and replacements were not available. He’s stuck with a hand blender, now.

1 Like

Oh NO!!! Truth be told, I don’t like globs of white in my scrambled eggs, either. I use that spring whisk.

3 Likes

I finally tried folded eggs and am impressed. I used a couple of eggs, a splash of whole milk, and a pinch of salt, whisked with a fork, cooked over low to medium heat in melted butter. They were quite easy and a worthy alternative to whisking with cream and cooking in a double boiler. Plus they came out looking almost like a flower blossom.

1 Like

I want someone in Toronto to open an Australian brunch cafe that serves folded eggs.

1 Like

Yikes. That’s how I usually cook eggs. I didn’t know it had a name. :eyes:

3 Likes

Two (at least): Folded eggs and Australian eggs. Maybe we can add one!

1 Like

It’s what I expect short-order eggs to look like when I order them.

2 Likes

They are a natural byproduct of a big flattop and a large Dexter spatula where the cook has to keep them in place. Short order cooks generally prefer flipping eggs and hash browns to anything they have to keep in motion.

2 Likes

I figured as much. Fine with me, l like them.

1 Like

Recent post on Australian folded eggs https://www.tastingtable.com/1340608/trick-cooking-best-folded-eggs/

2 Likes

A lot depends on the type of scramble you choose. For the European low-and-slow types, which result in creamy eggs, I think some fat (cream and/or butter) is important in the mixing. For the quick-and-curdy type (my favorite, but I like all), it is well to mix in about a teaspoon of water per egg before scrambling. Water adds some explosion factor.

I never spend a long time in the physical scrambling itself, especially for the quick and curdy style. I whisk vigorously with a fork in a small steel mixing bowl until it looks homogenous. Your mileage might vary if you try mixing yolks and eggs in a shallow bowl, which would probably inhibit your mixing vigor from fear of spillage. That’s my two cents!

3 Likes

Today I had cream and chives on hand.

My wife and I split a two folded egg serving. I could eat ten more.

4 Likes