Scrambled Eggs

Thanks Pettri,

I remembered viewing that video on CH however, could not remember who posted it. I did refer it in a separate post.

I like SS pan for fried eggs because they don’t stick.
What is your secret to not to have them stick in a cast iron?

Saw this and thought that it might be fun to do a taste test.

2 Likes

That was such a great show! Thanks for posting the video!

1 Like

She’s handling that circular saw like it’s not her first rodeo! That me rescue my copy of “Julia’s Kitchen Wisdom” from the "to be donated " box where I’ve been testing life without it for about 6 months. “Egg Cookery” starts on page 64.

2 Likes

This Frankenthread predates my return to HO, so apologies…

I actually like my scrambled eggs a little variegated–the curds just look a little more interesting to me.

In omelets, not so much. With them, a lot of beating, in a copper bowl with a pinch of salt, a spoon of water, and a bit of Dijon mustard gets everything smooth and emulsified. You can continue far past just the emulsion stage by beating long enough to entrain air for puffy-style omelets.

1 Like

Good to know. Ty

Same here. You nailed it.

4 Likes

That is another reason for me to eat eggs at home.
Sunnyside up soft yolk with a cooked egg white hard to find eating out.

4 Likes

This thread reminded me that I should make menemen again soon. It’s one scrambled egg dish that I don’t mind the eggs being more creamy than fluffy. This version which has you cook the whites before adding in the yolks looks really good to me, since I just really hate under-cooked egg whites.

Torn on whether I should make a fluffy flatbread to go with it or a crusty bread instead. Both are good in different ways. :yum:

6 Likes

I’m torn about this method. We tried it this morning following the instructions and while the eggs stayed soft, they had a distinct cornstarch flavor and a strange mouthfeel. I would dial down the cornstarch a lot so it’s just enough to barely coat the eggs.

2 Likes

I’m guessing you mean this? I didn’t have a method that included cornstarch in that post, just a link to the technique of longyau and Kenji’s post on how to attain different results for scrambled eggs.

What I linked was a Serious Eats article where he explained to use higher heat for fluffy eggs, and low heat for creamy. He didn’t call for cornstarch in either method.

I haven’t tried this, but cornstarch taste is the result of not bringing the cornstarch up the simmering point so that the raw flavors cooks out. If you cook it hot enough any flavor will disappear, though as you said you will notice it texturally.

The cornstarch retains moisture, and you do see it in Cantonese recipes a lot of times, though plenty make it without and I’ve ultimately come to prefer dishes like egg and shrimp without the addition of cornstarch in the eggs.

2 Likes

The cornstarch was fully cooked and I could still taste it compared to unadulterated egg. Sorry about the wrong reply - I tried to correct it to respond to the comment linking Food52, and then couldn’t find my post at all. Weird.

3 Likes

Lots of butter :rofl:

1 Like

OK, I’m definitely going to try this!

2 Likes

If I have those eggs no need for me to set up my Moka Pot.

1 Like

Recently I have been using the NYT/Kenji recipe for scrambled eggs, and I like it. I dont taste anything from the corn starch, to me the difference in favor is the generous use of butter in the recipe. I got tired of the scramble and go technique that produces dried rubbery scrambled eggs…and enjoy the buttery creaminess of Kenji’s method. I have watched Jacque Pepin make scrambled eggs…and while he gets nice results…ehh…too much work!

1 Like

Where I live, Colby is the cheapest cheese. I’ve learned it’s my preferred cheese with eggs. Just perfect.

2 Likes

I tried this Kenji/Food52 recipe for eggs with cornstarch slurry again. This time I used a small amount - maybe 1/3-1/2 tsp cornstarch whisked in 1/4 c milk. Beat in 7 eggs and seasoned with salt and pepper. Those sat for about 30 min until they were just cooked through in a hot pan with about 1 Tbsp browned butter. They turned out very well - and the cornstarch flavor was undetectable this time.

3 Likes