SCANDINAVIAN - Cuisine of the Quarter, Spring 2021 (Apr-June)

Go for it, curing is easy. Let us know your results.

Good observation, cucumbers was my idea, I guess they would have pickles instead. I remember seeing tomatoes on my plate in Stockholm in May, I actually asked the restaurant if the tomatoes were Swedish or imported. They told me it was from the south of Sweden, the island Gotland, if I remember correctly.

2 Likes

I wished I’d made more stuffing, well next time… definitely will make it again.

1 Like

I’m reading the book Fire and Ice:

One of Sweden’s most beloved cabbage dishes is Kåldolmar or dolma - stuffed cabbages leaves - whose name betrays their Eastern Mediterranean origin. Dolma arrived rather circuitously in Sweden in the early 18th century, courtesy of Sweden’s humiliating war with Russia. After his defeat at the Battle of Poltava, King Karl XII fled to Turkey. That much is historically certain. But here accounts diverge. Some say the king fell in love with Ottoman food and ordered his cooks to prepare dolma after he returned to Sweden, substituting cabbage for grape leaves. Others say he was hounded by Turkish creditors carrying with them a taste for dolma. Whatever the true story, it’s a known fact that Swedes came to love these meat-filled bundles. They’re now a regular feature of the smörgåsbord…

That explains some of the reasons the similarities of Greek, Turkish and Swedish food.

4 Likes

That looks lovely @naf.

This happened with one of my rounds of cured salmon - if you taste a bit and find too salt, you can soak it in cold water till the excess salt leaches out.

3 Likes

Interesting! Yes, we should add wars and royalty to the mix. Supposedly a wealthy Spanish princess married a Medici and brought tomatoes & peppers to Italy in the 16th century. Where would Italian cuisine be without her? :thinking:

2 Likes

Good reading

2 Likes

Very interesting background. Foto: ***Michelin Starred Chef Bjorn Frantzen. King crab, fermented apricot and Ikura Caviar with Wasabi …

In Stockholm, they have quite a penchant for Caviar too !

4 Likes

This caught my attention because stuffed grapeleaves and cabbage rolls are 2 of my favourite foods.

Turks and Greeks also make cabbage rolls.

Dolma refers to the roll or wrap.

Lahanodolmades , with tomato or egg lemon sauce, is the Greek term for cabbage rolls.

Lahana sarmasi is the Turkish term.
Turks, Bosnians, Serbs and other formerly under Ottoman rule cultures call their cabbage rolls sarma.

Dolmades or yiaprakia, and in Turkish yiaprak, are the word for stuffed grapeleaves.

I’d think it isn’t rocket science to cook meat and grains inside leaves. I would think cooks all over the world came up with the idea of cabbage rolls. Same with meatballs and dumplings.

There’s a really long 600 post thread about the origin of cabbage rolls on Chowhound.

People can get a little possessive, nationalistic, pedantic and territorial about foods they see as their own . :rofl:

As you can see above, I’m an annoying pedant!

I might try this recipe:

5 Likes

I think you can put lingonberry on anything and make it Scandinavian. Pizza sadly comes to mind. Someone will come up with a picture and a recipe.

Pedants unite! grin

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve been watching the New Scandinavian Cooking show for inspiration. A lot of the dishes are very similar to the “American” dishes we already post on WFD. With a few tweaks here and there they could easily be a Scandinavian DOTQ.

1 Like

Karjalanpaisti, Finnish meat stew - I made a few weeks ago, when the weather was still cool. It was elected as the national dish a few years ago by the readers of a local newspaper in Finland, according to Wikipedia. The dish is easy to prepare, a mix of meat, usually beef, lamb and pork and cook for 4 hours in an oven according to my recipe (from the book Fire and Ice), or 8 hours according the other recipes. I used only beef and pork some bone in and some boneless part for long cooking. Chopped them in 2 inch cubes, seasoned with salt. Without browning, I placed the first layer of meat in the cast iron pot, topped with onions, carrots, allspice, peppercorns, juniper berries, repeated the layers until all the ingredients have been used. Tucked in the bay leaves and poured water over. Covered the casserole and cooked for 20 minutes at 440ºF, lower to 275ºF for 4 hours or until the meat was tender. Served with pickles and mashed potatoes.

We’ve eaten it just after cooking and found the meat a bit bland. Reheated the next day, we found it much better after the night rest.

6 Likes

My mother was German, and used the same mixture for both meatloaf and frikadellen. Being patties or logs that are sauteed, they have added flavor and textute from the browning, and cook faster. I include onion, bell pepper, wilted cabbage, tomato paste, and sometimes grated carrot too. I make gravy with the fond left in the pan, adding condensed cream of mushroom soup, milk, beef base, and soy or teriyaki sauce. Frikadellen also have the advantage of leftovers being ready to pop into a bun for a cold sandwich. All rather a long way from the original, but awfully tasty.

6 Likes
5 Likes

Rømmegrøt - Norwegian Sour Cream Porridge w/Poached Egg & Prosciutto

Traditionally, Rømmegrøt was a delicacy prepared for special occasions & holidays during “meager times”. We had it for breakfast…

Simmer sour cream, add a little flour, continue simmering until butter fat rises, skim & save.

I’m thinking American sour cream isn’t as fatty as European because this yielded a lot less fat than the one I saw on the New Scandinavian Cooking show.

Added the rest of the flour (too much actually).

Then scalded milk & salt…

Topped w/the reserved butter fat, a pad of unsalted butter, S&P, sugar, cinnamon, prosciutto & egg.

I was skeptical of sugar & cinnamon w/sour & savory ingredients, so didn’t add a lot. I wish I had. So good! The recipe calls for air-dried ham but it looked just like prosciutto on the show, so…

Toasted Ezekiel Bread w/Butter & Ligonberry Jam

It was a tasty novelty but I think we’ll stick w/grits. Husband? He said it tasted much better than it smelled. :slightly_smiling_face:

A little late to the party. I was making things but lost track of time. :blush: More yum to follow…

8 Likes

All of that looks totally scrumptious!!!

1 Like

Thanks @GretchenS!

I’d been making things during the quarter but lost track of the time for reporting. :crazy_face: More to follow…

1 Like

Things look great @TheCookie! Colorful and visually appealing, BUT the sour cream porridge is intriguing and looks delicious!

1 Like

I have a strange question. What are you seeing? I only see my porridge post now, not the smorrebrod.

Very bizarre. All those gorgeous pics after the toast and jam disappeared.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! Long story but I had some tech difficulties and wasn’t surprised that part got deleted. Thankfully, I saved it somewhere else and can post again. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like