SAVORY EGG DISHES - Spring 2024 (Apr-Jun) Dish of the Quarter

(post deleted by author)

On the topic of savory eggs, I have recently become a convert to steaming when making hard boiled eggs. Faster, less water required and peeling is 100x easier than any boiled method I’ve tried. I know there are other proponents of steaming here on HO, so big thanks to you guys for convincing me!

7 Likes
5 Likes

One of my friends swears by steaming them.

1 Like

It really does work. In terms of ease of peeling, I have had good luck with the “drop into already-boiling water and then simmer” method as well, but not as consistently as steaming. Also, a few always crack when you put them into boiling water. I do 13 mins for XL and 15 mins for jumbo in the steamer and they are perfect (and peel easily) every time.

4 Likes

Speaking of Chawanmushi et al, how did I forget it was one of my four favorite recipes of 2023?!

And there’s a prior thread on savory Asian egg custards.

1 Like

Posted this yesterday in the “What’s for Lunch”
but seemed appropriate here as well

12 Likes

I saw, and I craved!

Recipe please?

1 Like

3 T Butter
3 T Flour
1 C Milk
1/4 tsp Grated Nutmeg
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper(I actually used Green Chili and Garlic when making the Roux)
Salt and Pepper

5 Yolks, at room-temperature
1/2 to 3/4 C Grated Cheese
12-16 Oz Cooked Chopped Veg, Protein or Mixture or Nothing (can’t be too wet though)

5 Whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

Pre heat Oven 400F
Butter 6-8 C Soufflé Dish or what ever Dish/Dishes you prefer. Coat with Flour or grated Parm. Cheese

Make White Sauce and transfer to large Bowl. Set aside for a Moment.
Set Whites to beat on Medium Speed
Add Yolks, Cheese and Filling to White Sauce and Stir to Mix
When Whites are just past soft Peaks mix one Third into the Main Mixture first then fold in the remaining Whites.
Bake 40 min for a Soufflé Dish (adjust timing to size and shape that you choose)

Flavoring and Fillings make for endless variations of the basic Béchamel to Egg Ratio

11 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Cheers

I might make a variation on these tuna souffles tomorrow, omitting the Dijon mustard, soy sauce and cotija, keeping the tuna and gruyere.

1 Like

This looks promising. Has anyone tried making steamed eggs in the MW?

1 Like
2 Likes

I didn’t have the time, space or cookware (dishes were being washed as a prepped) available for a proper souffle tonight, so I did a frittata with milk and flour eyeballed.
Tuna basil tomato gruyere. I tried stuffing tomatoes, but one was still a little soupy inside despite reading 170 ⁰F , so I chopped it up so the egg would set a little. Hence this :rofl:

The other one looked better.

I will try souffle- stuffed tomatoes again, when I have time to follow directions and measure. :rofl:

10 Likes

I bought too much ikura. And now I have to put it on everything.

15 Likes

You poor thing. My heart goes out to you in this terrible crisis.

I’m all out of trout roe and sad.

2 Likes

Thank you. It hasn’t been easy.

2 Likes

CHAWANMUSHI / CHINESE STEAMED EGG

Every time I make this, I wonder why it took me so long to make it.

Today’s liquids were chicken broth from Cantonese-style poached chicken (flavored with ginger and scallions) and dashi.

Topped with sesame oil and chilli crisp.

I was lucky today because usually after a hiatus my first one breaks, but the custard set perfectly, and was nice and delicate because I used a higher proportion of liquid to egg.

Next time maybe I’ll try some additions like mushrooms or seafood, but I really do love the smooth custard, so maybe I’ll top it instead of embedding them.

16 Likes

Nice!

1 Like