Saveur Magazine

So local communities pay for a libraries subscriptions and benefit. That could work. I have to look into that. They are doing good stuff.

1 Like

15 Likes

Agreed. Many libraries are struggling. Community support has waned with the expansion of the Internet. Ours in Anne Arundel County Maryland has done well adding digital services (movies, books, audio books, etc.) but the infrastructure costs for that are significant. Lots of libraries are heading in that direction in addition to their print and periodical collections.

My interests are sufficiently broad that I can’t possibly abide the cost of subscribing, even digitally, across the span of periodicals. I just wish I could get the county to pay more attention to STEM. Smithsonian magazine is about as far into science as they’ll go. QST and Spectrum and certainly journals simply aren’t on their radar.

3 Likes

Great concept.

1 Like

I’m rather pleased with it. grin For those who feel strongly on the matter, just read “Soylent Green” in place. I would add in context that I regret Ms. Paltrow has reproduced. Surely that is not good for the genome. Citation: the movie “Idiocracy.”

I’ve never seen any of her movies. Just know the name from the internet.

Shakespeare in Love was good, as was Contagion (which was also terrifying, and more so now). Royal Tenenbaums. Glee (not a movie). She’s got 60 acting credits. You’ve probably seen at least one, unless you watch very few movies.

2 Likes

Precisely.

Oh. Then I’m curious why you weighed in.

1 Like

Earlier I had corresponded with @Auspicious on Jane Fonda. Now I was just continuing with Gwyneth Paltrow.

2 Likes

, as was Contagion

“Six characters die in the first 12 or so minutes. One of them is Gwyneth Paltrow”

Not exactly a starring role, but an acting credit, yes.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sterling memory.

You’re not wrong, but her role is the one I recall most clearly from that movie, because her death is so central to it. I can still remember the shot of her hand dipping into the bowl of pretzels that contains the virus that kills her. #whyIdon’teatcommunalbarfood

3 Likes

I liked her in Emma and Sliding Doors. I can still enjoy them in spite of her goop BS. The candle is silly, some of her health advise is dangerous.

3 Likes

Agree on all counts.

1 Like

“The film’s virus seems a lot worse, for one thing. Six characters die in the first 12 or so minutes. One of them is [Gwyneth Paltrow. When a pair of doctors cut her skull open, they peer inside with bewilderment that radiates through their layers of protective gear. One asks, “Should we tell somebody?” And the other replies: “Tell everybody.””

Personally, I’ve had enough of GP talk for one night.

1 Like

Your eyes, your choice. View elsewhere.

OK just for you I’ll put it back on topic. I liked Saveur for the travel stories and the photography but mostly because they taught me to make and roll out pot sticker type dough.

1 Like

I was talking about me. Nobody else. Carry on.

I understand. I hated that I wrote the name of her site because it was just going to potentially send it more traffic. I considered editing it out.

1 Like