Saveur Magazine

She pushed me over the edge when she said her life was harder than a single working mom with a “regular job.” This while she had TWO nannies on set and a third at home.

She like Jane Fonda are on my “do not watch” list. Too bad, as I liked the Iron Man franchise before what I consider her entitled stupidity came to light.

See https://www.moms.com/20-things-gwyneth-paltrow-has-said-about-being-a-mom-that-no-one-can-relate-to/ #18.

1 Like

I liked her very much as an actress. As a human, I’ll take a pass. I subscribed to BA for a few years in the 1990s. I loved it, but my favorite was their RSVP section where customers would ask BA to try and get recipes to dishes they loved at their local restaurants. So fun. I also really enjoyed the May editions that were dedicated to a part of the world and its food and culture. Provence, Tuscany, Barcelona… It was pretty Euro-centric I guess. But fun nevertheless.

5 Likes

I’ve only just discovered Ms. Paltrow’s sad attempts at cooking. How truly unfortunate. Were it just for that I’d merely consider her another entertainment idiot. Her oblivious statement about how difficult her life is takes insanity to an antisocial level.

Somehow I completely missed the glossy magazine component of cookery. The closest I ever came was sometimes reading Good Housekeeping at the library. I recall rarely reading Bon Appetit or Food and Wine on an airplane. Before the Internet my inputs were cookbooks, textbooks, public television, and the short-lived Cooking section of the Washington Post. There were some cooking newsgroups on the early Internet (ARPANet and DARPANet) and of course websites on Tim Berners-Lee’s invention.

The magazines, in their now-passed heyday, at their best were a platform for excellent food writing, well-tested recipes, and sometimes armchair travel.

Plus for some of us (raises hand again) the magazines were a sorely needed chance to unplug from electronic devices.

Today when I crave that unplugged experience of learning about something new to me in the food world, the option I still have is finding myself a well-produced cookbook. Yet it’s not the same as having a fresh new issue of a favorite food magazine show up monthly with the possibilities of surprises and adventure in its pages.

That’s what I miss.

6 Likes

My interests have too broad a range to subscribe to magazines. Pre-COVID I would have a couple of visits a month to the library. I actually have a couple of technical subscriptions stemming from my move to Maryland in 2006. The libraries here are sadly deficient in science and technical periodicals. That makes me worry about the reality of STEM vice the narrative. Bah!

Many nice afternoons at the library reading magazines but I have to say I haven’t really missed them. A tablet or laptop and a glass of wine (no food or drink in the library!) in a comfy chair suits me just fine. I fully understand the desire for print - my wife feels strongly about that, lots of magazines, a couple of papers, and we go through a lot of printer paper for her work reading. Horses for courses.

1 Like

So, no Gwyneth candles accompany you on your sailing adventures?
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Jeepers - does she do candles as well? Crystals I suppose.

I’m a Weems & Plath guy for lanterns.

:rofl::joy: Oh dear, should you tell him about those? :scream_cat:

2 Likes

I’ll let one of you ladies…
:wink:

3 Likes

I will not be volunteering for that assignment…:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

A’ight, I’ll go there. Hey, @Auspicious! Gwyneth Paltrow marketed a candle that smells like her ladyparts.

3 Likes

She is a very good actress. It’s too bad she decided that she should become some type of “life coach” as well. No one that wealthy or privileged could begin to understand the lives of ordinary people, so she should have just enjoyed her perch and zipped it.

I only subscribed to 2 mags in my adult life. BA and Newsweek. Both for a few years. I’m sure I preferred the former, but the latter kept me informed. Now the only mags I get are due to making donations. Sierra Club for ex.

2 Likes

I subscribed to Lucky Peach from the beginning. That was the best magazine about food in the world. No glossy pictures. Just great writing from a bunch of talented people about food. Not a lot of recipes either. I learned a lot from reading it. Was just a sad day when I got the email about the magazine shutting down with Meehan and Chang splitting. I had prepaid for two years at that time. Saveur eventually acquired the Lucky Peach subscribers list and I started getting it. If you know Lucky Peach, there was no comparison and no point in getting it as a replacement. I tossed that crap in the circular file. Still treasure and reread my old Lucky Peach copies. Too bad the website got shut down. They had a lot of awesome video clips. That was worthwhile digital content. Saveur gone to digital only? Who really cares? Not I.

4 Likes

Have you watched Jeremy Clarkson in Clarkson’s Farm on Amazon Prime? Hilarious bit when Jeremy makes a candle that smells like something most of us don’t want to smell and when his girlfriend complains, he brings up Gwyneth.

1 Like

I have not, never even heard of it, but that’s pretty funny. Unfortunately, now you’ve made me recall John Waters’ film Polyester, presented in Odorama (your ticket came with a scratch and sniff card).

2 Likes

I agree totally in regards to gastro - eno print magazines.

I miss Comer y Beber, sort of a similar magazine to Saveur but in Spanish.
I too truly liked Saveur as well …

2 Likes

I try not to swear in public. I really do. JHFC. How could I have possibly missed this? It changes everything. Ms. Paltrow is not simply an idiot. She qualifies for retroactive abortion. Too stupid to live. Every single person associated with such a product goes also.

I’m going to need a lie down.

Knife and fork to @small_h for stepping up and taking one for the team.

Did Newsweek tell you about the candles? sigh

In the 80s, I read US News and World Report and Time. I found even weekly news to have too much latency. The Internet and then the WWW only built on that. When I read the news I want the latest. BBC it is.

3 Likes

I was just about to stick up for GP because even though I didn’t care for her style of cooking in the BA article, I still liked her in A Perfect Murder & Country Strong. Then I read on and had to run a search for her candle(s). This was news to me. Needless to say I won’t be taking her side on anything any time soon. Absolutely ridiculous. And Sold Out too! She must be laughing all the way to the bank.

2 Likes

Lucky Peach is the another one I kept from my first to last volume. Interesting that you feel strongly about it. I do too, but maybe not for the same reasons. I think they each had their own niche, and I appreciated both.

Oh well. I’ve gotten over things.

1 Like

I feel like I was young when I was getting the news mags - late teens or twenties. Internet was not quite so prevalent. And while it may have not been the up to minute stuff, it’s not like the Israel/Palestine dispute, for instance, doesn’t last more than a couple of days. I think it gave me a good grounding and an overall understanding of how the world worked. I had been pretty sheltered before that I think…