Salt Grinder: Do you have one?

No. If my salt is too large I use a mortar and pestle to make it smaller.

1 Like

No salt grinder for me. In fact I don’t even use a pepper grinder. I use my mortar and pestle for pepper and I have many salts of various styles, so no need for it.

I thought you were going to say that you put peppercorn between your fingers and crush them

" an oxo brand"

I have a similar Oxo grinder and use it every time. It gives me better control when seasoning than using big crystals.

Somewhere in the pantry is a Trader Joe’s Himalayan Pink Salt with built in grinder. I really don’t like the grinder and thus hardly ever reach for it. Whenever I take of the cap, there seems to be a ton of salt dust that falls out and it is usually more salt then I would want or need. I guess the salt itself tastes fine. My everyday kosher salt sits out in a little flip top salt cellar.

1 Like

So you think you don’t like the Trader Joe’s salt grinder or salt grinder in general?

I suspect it is this specific grinder/top combo. Love my pepper grinder, but have never thought about trying a “real” salt grinder.

i have a set of 12 inch peugeot Paris salt and pepper grinder. In fact, I have 2 of their salt grinders. Purchased them from WS ( red for salt, yellow for pepper) in early 2000. I also purchased the salt from them. Had a lot of problems with the salt grinder, wrote to Peugeot who sent me a new one for free ( that is the reason I have 2 salt grinders) Well, it still was not working properly so finally , Peugeot sent me a bottle of sea salt. They advised me to use dry salt specifically the ones called La Roule des epices made for or by Peugeot in a 20 ounce bottle that can be purchased from Swiss Knife Shop. All Problems solved since! For cooking, i often just grab a pinch of himalayan pink salt but I have a tendency to use too much salt. I use my barista coffee burr grinder for grinding peppercorn since I no longer use it for coffee after replacing my barista with a super automatic gaggia machine. However, the texture from grinding with the burr is too fine, I do so when I am in a rush, need a lot of pepper in soup or stew, or have to use a small electric herb grinder which is not as convenient since it is stored in a cabinet.

1 Like

I use mine just because I like it. No other reason except that when my wife’s redneck family comes over and sees me using then along with copper cookware which I really love they think that they are eating something special. Easy to fool when you look like you know what you are doing.

1 Like