Salads

Moved to proper thread…

I was replying to you. What was the ‘proper thread’?

I accidentally posted WFD to your reply on salad, thinking it was a follow up to my WFD salad posted last night. Thus I moved my post to the proper thread.

My bad…

:slight_smile:

Today I made a chopped salad from a NYT recipe called “Chopped Salad With Chickpeas, Feta and Avocado
By Lidey Heuck”

I’m using “Nanci’s” chickpeas, and keeping the chickpeas in the fridge with some of the dressing, some halved cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, crumbled feta, green onion, bits of leftover Costco Stravecchio parmesan and some of the herbs, and will add the Romaine, more herbs, and perhaps the croutons later, if ever. We love it already.

9 Likes
1 Like

I can’t believe I haven’t posted my newest salad obsession here yet. It was one of the best plates at a recent meal out in Philly: shaved celery, toasted hazelnut, chopped dates, and ricotta salata.

It was so much more than the sum of all of its parts, and I already have the celery, dates, and ricotta salata - finding good quality hazelnuts is proving to be more difficult, but I might just replace them with chopped toasted pistachios.

8 Likes

This looks like something I could eat in unlimited quantity. Thanks for the pointer.

2 Likes

Update: I’m eating this tonight! I have dates and celery and a brand new mandoline to shave it on. I just put some pecans to toast, and I’ll find some acceptable cheese.

2 Likes

What kind of dressing will you make ?

This was dressed in a fairly unassuming, lightly tart vinaigrette made with a celery leaf vinegar (that I don’t have, nor am I going to make it myself :joy:) and presumably olive oil.

I think I might use champagne vinegar and toasted walnut oil to amp up the nuttiness. I really gotta make this soon… :drooling_face:

Do report back how yours came out!

I usually have champagne vin. If I don’t I’ll use white balsamic

1 Like

Sherry might work, too. A little dryer, perhaps.

1 Like

I had to use nice Parm so I shaved it a little less extravagantly than your photo. I substituted toasted pecans for the hazelnuts, and dressed it a bit sparingly with white balsamic vin and good EVOO.

Delicious. Celery and dates is a genius combination. Will repeat for sure.

4 Likes

Would anyone happen to have a “shaved celery, toasted hazelnut, chopped dates, and ricotta salata.” recipe? I know most of you can wing it, but I would at least like to have a bookmark.

1 Like

I wish! All I knows is the ingredients, and that the restaurant used celery leaf vinegar - I don’t even recall which oil they used, but think that a nut oil is def not the wrong choice.

The celery was very thinly shaved lengthwise, each piece perhaps 1" or so long, and I’m still trying to figure out how to do this on my mandolin without losing all my knuckle meat. I guess one could just say fuckit and cut it in thin half moons, as per usual. Not sure just how important it would be to the overall end product.

They used the chopped dates sparingly, which I plan to do as well - maybe even fewer. The hazelnuts were toasted and chopped into chunks, and the ricotta was very generously showered atop.

I don’t think you’ll have a hard time making this, and tweaking to your liking :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s reminding me of the cauliflower date salad that was popular a while back.

2 Likes

I looked for ricotta salata at the grocery store last night during my quick pre-storm shop. No luck. I did buy more celery, so I might make it with parmesean again anyway.

1 Like

I plan on making it on Monday as a side or app for seared scallops :slight_smile:

1 Like

No ricotta salata, so I used some Parmigiana Reggiano Stravecchio, I thought that would be a better choice then feta or aged Gouda. How about Asiago?. Also, I added a bit of sliced fennel, and sliced almonds for hazelnuts.

Anyway, so far so good.

7 Likes