Romertopf Clay Baker and other Clay cookware

Just a sample of a few comments I’ve made…

The soup is delicious, my pot never hit a full boil (which would have been more difficult if I used the copper pot instead) and I’m happy with both my process and my results

You can probably pick up from the picture how low the flame is under a heat diffuser. That, as they say, is the ticket.

but yes, I think whether it’s the material the pot is made from or the effect the material has on my cooking technique, the outcome is different. When the bolognese recipe calls for insaporie, I do it differently in clay. I’m forced to go slower and use less heat initially.

1 Like

Here’s a little gift for you…

This recipe (uncredited) is from a book called Casablanca by nargisse benkabbou

It’s great, she recommends a metal pot in her book, I’ve made it both ways and prefer the results I get when I make it in an unglazed clay tagine.

Keep your heat low and gradual as you cook it

http://catherineskitchen.com/2018/11/27/monkfish-tagine-with-apricot-and-fennel/

2 Likes

Interesting! I can find steamed chicken essence, but not dry steamed chicken essence. Is that something best made in a donabe? Can you say more about it, or share a link?

I was surprised that several posts stayed up that were personal, demeaning attacks, not passive aggressive at all, but overtly aggressive. The increasing vitriol has made what started out as an interesting cooking inquiry very unpleasant indeed.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Sorry, I guess “dry steamed” chicken essence is sort of redundant.

Previous discussion here:

1 Like

I would just ignore and move on.

Don’t let the noise from the corner drown out the music in the room.

3 Likes

What if the noise from the room is drowning out the music from the corner?

5 Likes

On the opposite side now… is there anything ceramic/clayware can do, that a glassware cannot?

Something smaller? I am genuinely confused.

Something smaller than a Romertopf clay baker? I have a very small clay baker with a lid that I use a lot, oven, not stove top (I got it from 1,000 villages), and lots of small cazuelas I bought in Spain decades ago that I use in the oven, as well (that they have held up for decades is wonderful).

However, I think you mean something else that I don’t understand at all.

A smaller picture of me looking bereft; tried to make it smaller, chose something else, then I thought better of it, and deleted the whole thing. Sorry.
It was like this;

4 Likes

oh, I can relate to this! My son dropped most of an ice cream cone at age 5, and then a few months later, an entire snow cone dropped out into the ocean when we were at a Boston Harbor Island!

2 Likes

I don’t need to replace my stove, the clay pots work just fine to regulate temperature for me.

1 Like

I, for one, enjoy reading about your experience with clay pot cooking.

I don’t need to delve into scientific theories.

Please feel free to share your favorite recipes with us here, most of us are positive, encouraging people.

8 Likes

I don’t need scientific theories either. I know what works better for me and what tastes better for me and there is no scientific fact or theory that replaces that. What tastes better to me or anyone else can’t be quantified.

I’ll be posting about my best experiences with clay pot cooking, and I won’t be comparing them with cooking by any other method.

3 Likes

Thank you both. That monkfish recipe I just posted is delicious and unusual and works well no matter what pot you cook it in. Just apply the heat gradually

2 Likes

Disinterest in science is possibly the only thing worse than disinterest in history.

1 Like

You’ve beaten it to death; it’s exhausting.

2 Likes

… and then cast it off again.

At least try to find one that has interesting embossing–they have at least as many “special editions” as Nordic Ware has bundt pans.

Or, just buy a flower pot. “Sub teste” is advanced Etruscan technology.

Interesting that Rick recommended the unglazed interior which was made in Mexico.