Roasts!

This is what Mom called goulash: In a heavy Dutch oven, brown chunks of beef chuck. However much the meat weighs, add the same weight of coarsely chopped or sliced onion. And a bay leaf plus 4 peppercorns for every pound of meat. Salt. Stir. Cover, cook on medium heat on stovetop or oven for several hours, until meat is very tender and the juices have reduced to the thickness of applesauce. If stovetop, stir every hour. If oven, stir after 2 hours, to submerge the crusty side of the meat. Simple but scrumptious. Similar to a carbonnade of beef but without alcohol.

2 Likes

And chile verde for the pork roast.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Indeed, forgot that one, which is the best of all IMO @bbqboy!

1 Like

Yours looked wonderful and I’ll bet it tasted the same :relieved:

Thanks @bbqboy - you’re too kind! :sun_with_face:

(https://www.hungryonion.org/search?q=Pork%20Chile%20Verde)

This link may be helpful @Sasha. It has other ideas in it too, I think.

Posting my favorite Green Chile (Pork) recipe here today, am a terrible procrastinator…:scream_cat:

Another: Another thread for pork ideas

2 Likes

On the rare occasions we get a beef chuck roast, I’ll braise low it and slow with basic seasonings with the idea of portioning out the roast to use in different dishes.

Some might go into a beef and butternut squash chili. A beefy stew with pearl onions, petite peas, potatoes, and carrots. Or a shortcut Bolognese-ish pasta sauce with shreds of beef, tomato, onion, garlic, rosemary, and (optional) a generous slug of cream to finish.

Now I’m hungry.

5 Likes

Tuscan Roast Tenderloin of Pork …

I believe I have seen it, but not labeled that way.

Cochinita Pibil with the pork.

This might work as a substitute for the fresh juices. I’ve tried it, and it seems okay to me, but I’m no expert.

6 Likes

We had some roasts a while back - my favorite uses were porchetta-style pork shoulder, beef bourgignon, and incredibly intense pot roast (in the IP actually).

I also made Momofuku’s bo ssam and char siu - I liked the char siu better (the bo ssam was all about the accompaniments).

On my list for the next roasts are beef curry (indian/goan and malaysian/rendang) and cuban roast pork with mojo (a la Chef the movie).

3 Likes

Thanks! I am entirely unfamiliar with pork souvlaki. The satay sounds very much in the vein of rendang, which I’ve made to acclaim a couple of times in as many months. Carnitas is a possibility. I’m not sure I love achiote, but I think I could do without. Beer braised beef stew sounds lovely. My family are some spice wimps except my H, so I will probably leave the chile beef for others with more hair on their chest :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ve mentioned here and there I’m one of those few people who don’t love meat fat. So in a pulled pork or a carnitas, I would cook it and then remove it. With char sui and fatty cuts, like the belly, the fat is the point. So I don’t head in that direction. I found a char sui recipe a while back with pork tenderloins that is my go to.

1 Like

Holy onions batman. My older son would love this. Onions are his favorite food. It’s going on the list.

1 Like

You mean a porchetta? It’s not a tenderloin I’ve got. It’s a boston butt. Very fatty.

Would love recipes or guidelines on those 2 (Indian roast and Pork mojo) if you are improvising.

Grey,
That is a very typical Polish goulash (gulasz). Just add a few allspice berries and a pinch of marjoram. Oh, and fry the onions to golden brown before adding to the browned meat. You can add a little beef or vegetable broth to make more gravy when you add the onions. Wonderful served with pierogi and czwikła (grated roasted beets and horseradish.)

4 Likes

PORK: We always have a half dozen jars or so of pork rillettes in the freezer. It’s just cubed pork shoulder cooked down until fork tender. We pull it apart by fork rather than by machine as shown in the recipe. At room temperature, it’s a wonderful meat spread on crackers or good bread with cornichon pickles, or fired up it becomes an admirable stand-in for carnitas!

BEEF CHUCK roasts sing as Mississippi Roast. I diddle around with the recipe and substitute “real” for some of the packaged ingredients, but it is all very “tasty”.

Or https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chile_verde/ Chile Verde.

And using a smaller quantity, https://www.wsj.com/articles/gulyassuppe-goulash-soup-recipe-1415376874 Goulash soup

7 Likes

I was wondering about the lack of paprika in that recipe.

Traditional Polish gulasz does not use paprika. That would make it Hungarian.

2 Likes

I’ve used pork roasts with a porchetta -type rub, an al pastor type marinade, a Puerto Rican orange-cilantro marinade, Greek lemon rosemary oregano.

There’s also a pork and sauerkraut goulash that’s good.

I’ve been making kharcho with beef lately.

This is a nice Austrian-style beef goulash I’ve made several times.

5 Likes