Roasted tomatoes! How to make, store, and use.

Can the tomatoes be beefsteak, etc, or are you thinking paste?

Create a tomato jelly and seed dish? Soufflé? Soup? Omelette? Pizza? I kind of like a pizza with a goat cheese. I’d eat a tomato jelly pizza with goat cheese, maybe leeks.

1 Like

Can the tomatoes be beefsteak, etc, or are you thinking paste?

I find any variety works, and use whatever I have on hand to fill two pans. Photo is from 2017, which would have been a mix of Cosmonaut Volkov, Fakel and (probably) Stupice.

3 Likes

The slow-roasted tomatoes like @shrinkrap showed taste pretty different - the flavor intensifies and concentrates.

I have trouble not eating them all right out of the oven and saving some for whatever use I had intended!

3 Likes

I was served something once at a fancy place that they called “tomato water” - basically the gel with seeds milled out, I’m pretty sure!

2 Likes

I think tomato water uses the whole tomato, but with no solids.

The picture isn’t right; the tomatoes are fine chopped.

Also, I don’t recall if I actually made the Trini tomatoes, but I sure plan to!

2 Likes

I make something close to this by running tomatoes through a steam juicer. The resulting “stock” makes terrific red rice, among other things. It’s very low acid, however, and needs a lot of lemon juice for safe canning.

1 Like

Gross error in my post here: should read “32 oz.” and not “64 oz.”

From two full 1/2 sheet pans + 32 oz. tomato juice, I typically get a full canner load of 7 pints.

With a nod to @ mariacarmen, Nigel Slater-ish roasted tomato preserve.

I used all grapette tomatoes, as I have a glut of them. My thyme doesn’t look so good right now, so keeping in mind our upcoming meal plans, I used oregano here, instead. With another nod to @ Vecchiouomo, I did not deseed (or de-jelly) the tomatoes. As such, my version came out quite soupy, but still quite tasty. Will be looking forward to some crusty bread or pasta to scoop this up.

3 Likes

Sorry for the soupiness, but yay for deliciousness. I think it’s lovely.

1 Like

When I do the Nigel Slater-ish roasted tomato preserve with cherry tomatoes I pour off the excess olive oil/tomato juice and save it for salad dressing, sauteing veg, pasta sauce, etc. I freeze it, lots of uses.

2 Likes

Good ideas - thank you!

1 Like

Can anyone advise about how long the Slater tomato thingy holds up in the fridge after it’s made? Days? Weeks?

I always freeze mine but Nigel says " could have been stored for a week or more in the fridge in a glass jar. "

2 Likes

Anything new under the sun?

This season’s first roasted tomato sauce .

3 Likes

I roasted some tomatoes with feta, oregano, garlic and olive oil last week. I keep them in the fridge as an easy side. (With or without the feta)

Stirred the remainder into my tuna casserole tonight :rofl:

2 Likes

All I can add to my post from last year about the Slater-ish roasted tomatoes is (with thanks to @beefeaterrocks) I froze about dozen one-cup portions of the roasted toms in oil, and we ate up every last bit of it over the winter. Almost exclusively as sauce over pasta - such a quick, easy and tasty dinner!

Anything I put up which gets consumed 100% in one year is obligated to be repeated the next.

3 Likes

i just hit the link to the Slater recipe and guffawed to myself reading the absolutely purple prose that accompanies the recipe:

“Shorn of their skins and seeds, the fruits – green, orange and some halved cherry varieties – softened to the point of melting, bloated with the flavours of oil and herbs…”

I love it.

I’m totally trying this with my upcoming cherry tomato crop!

1 Like

Sounds good! Reminds me of this one!

I made it a few times, but seeding cherry tomatoes is not my idea of a good time.

ETA I don’t see the part about seeding the tomatoes! :thinking:

:roll_eyes:

1 Like