RIP Chowhound

Yep, HO’s marketing opportunity goes in a week. I’m not sure how many new contributors we’ve already signed up but my guess is that it’s most of those we’re going to get. The CH regulars will have seen the closure thread and, also, the discussions about folk coming here, somewhere else, or nowhere - so most will have made their decision. Of course, there will still be folk who visit CH more casually who will come across the news in the coming days. And there will be others who return to CH only to find it it gone. Both those groups may make decisions to come here.

2 Likes

Shy ?!?
Kaleo ?!?

We’re not talking about the same person.

1 Like

LOL. I was wondering how long before someone would comment on that.

3 Likes

I’ll have to stay civil and not lose my (sometimes very bad) temper on this new forum.

But on Chowhound Kaleo managed to get my temper to explode on a handful occasions.

I actually took a break from the Chowhound forum because of Kaleo.
I know another Chowhounder Damiano did the same thing.

I’ll do my very best to keep cool and not let my face turn red too often on this new forum.

I might be a big white Viking from cold Denmark, but I have a temper like a passionate Italian or Greek LOL

Speaking of Damiano.

Hope to see him soon on this forum too.
He’s one of the best guys you’ll ever want on a forum.

1 Like

Damiano has set up a profile here. I’m hoping that he’ll join us soon his posts are so informative.

2 Likes

I’m a new member here used to be on chowhound long time ago. I do see some other Los Angeles people’s names I recognize on the SoCal page. I’ve never been a frequent poster. I’m just learning and starting to read and catch up on stuff. Yes, it does seem more civil and friendly. I didn’t feel foodtalkchallenge (?)was welcoming and it had a moderator that was mean and stepped on people on virtually every post. The whole vibe of that page actually makes me a little uncomfortable. Anyways, onward and upward and I’ll try something new and look forward to learning new stuff and sharing some good intel as I can deliver that!

15 Likes

I’m half Greek, and there’s a saying that some Greeks like, that if you mess with a Greek , it’ll come back at you 10 times worse.
5 times worse, in my case.
Welcome.

6 Likes

Welcome!! Just wanted to show you this introduction thread, it will introduce you to a broader audience besides those just reading this thread.

No obligation to post here, just offering the suggestion!
Let’s introduce ourselves and get to know one another better - Stickies - Hungry Onion

4 Likes

I wish we could get fourunder over here. The guy taught me and others how to turn out beautifully roasted meats every time. And did it with so much kindness and patience!

5 Likes

I tried extensively to get him to come here. He and I emailed often and spoke on the phone a few times but never were able to schedule a meet up. Thanks for reminding me, I’ll try emailing him tomorrow.

@MZ aka Mgz from chow was here but disappeared about 5 years ago. Another excellent voice that’s missed around here.

7 Likes

To publicize the death of CH and the rise of HO, I’ve published a blog post about Hungry Onion as a home for erstwhile Chowhound. I plan to post it on several neighborhood list serves here in the DC area – list serves followed by lots of people who travel, cook and eat. And I’m posting on some food- and travel-oriented Facebook private groups.
If anyone would like to critique, add to, or correct it, it’s at – https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/2022/03/17/chowhound-is-dead-long-live-hungry-onion/ Feel free to share it on list serves in your area, or do your own. I don’t have any pull with local newspapers, alas.

11 Likes

Excellent and thank you for your efforts!

2 Likes

I thought Chowhound would close on Monday.
Seems like it closed today.

It says ‘bad gateway’ now when you enter into the site.

Edit - I can still log onto the sub forums, but not the main site…….

So they SAID March 21st - but yanked it 3 days early. Why - because so many people were trying to save much of the content, or directing people to HO or FTC? :::smh::: Even with the change in ownership, I guess nothing changed from 2015.

Farewell CH. So many of us can say “we knew you when”. Thanks for being there for so many years. Your last owner was not worthy. Sorry you had to have such an undignified death.

9 Likes

It’s working this morning. :slight_smile: Hoping the posters on the Spain and Portugal Boards join us.

2 Likes

They took off the homepage offline.
Yes, the last chance, to save stuff… in the sub forums…if you have the links…

2 Likes

Discovered that as well, @naf. Click Communities - no good. Click on a specific link in one of the Communities, such as What’s For Dinner, you get all threads under that grouping.

If you love some of your old posts, maybe consider doing a cut and paste, to keep a conversation going over here. Maybe make a few revisions as needed.

I might have done that with a recent post :slight_smile:

But I think those sub boards won’t stay… if they notice a lot of traffic.

Or maybe it’s time to test if this thing works…

2 Likes

Its wonky, but its still there. Doesn’t like to load threads with lots of activity (like the Farewell thread).

1 Like