RIP Chowhound

Glad to see the new posters. As someone who arrived here at the HO launch after the CH fiasco in 2015, I am hoping we get more active restaurant postings. That’s the thing I miss most. CH helped me find some great eats.

8 Likes

@kaleokahu is here. He’s just shy :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

7 Likes

This is a nice goodbye thread. Lots of your recipes are being given shout-outs here:

Anyone else trying to finish their posts on a round number? :grinning: I have 15 more posts before Prima hits 9900.

5 Likes

@TheGforceNY

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: OMG, that’s the perfect response!

3 Likes

I’m sorry to be so dull but what is FTC?
Without suggesting names, when a singular poster usurps a position of informal moderator, much legitimate conversation is stifled. Like coming in in combat boots. I’ve seen it in every forum I’ve been involved in. eG, OA, MFF, Chow. HO is a breath of fresh of air.

3 Likes

I think it’s Food Talk Central.

4 Likes

Correct it was founded around the same time as HO. They were far more West Coast/Cali centered, where we had a broader base so that’s how I wound up here vs there.

2 Likes

Thanks. So OUT OF THE LOOP!
Hm… checked out Bay Area and Paris, and while I find one favorite HO poster, I’m better off here.

3 Likes

I just figured that out, so I thought I would show off.
@NotJrvedivici ; “Cali”=😬

7 Likes

San Fran :rofl: ducks :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

How is there no “ignoring” emoticon?

:thinking:

2 Likes

Between the west Coast focus and IIRC a poster who flaunted his ability to drop bombs in every sentence, I lost interest fairly quickly.

I have the mouth of a sailor but it was so frequent that it became an obstacle to reading his posts…I wasn’t offended at all, just fed up with his inability to actually say anything…and he posted on every topic.

7 Likes

I think the perceived “rush” is because CH will be gone in less than a week, and people feel it’s their last chance to reach CH posters and get them over here before the site disappears.

1 Like

Then I trust everyone here at Hungry Onion will continue to welcome the people who do. From what I have come to understand, members from Chowhound have been “arriving” to this forum from its inception.

The rush I was referring to however had more to do with the folks responsible for preparing HO for all the newcomers, putting in long days setting up requested threads, explaining how the site works, etc. The HO Mod team has really been doing all they can the last week.

I hope going forward the community we all enjoy is referred to as Hungry Onion.
We all hail from somewhere.

7 Likes

I was considering a spin off site called “The Shitty Shallot” for “us” bad boyz. Kinda has a ring to it.
(by “us” I am speaking for myself not insinuating anything about you Sir)

4 Likes

You rapscallion.

10 Likes

When Ringo joined the band, his drum kit said, The Beatles. :grin:

1 Like

FWIW the bombing poster left FTC a very long time ago. Its only shortfall now, for me, is it’s light traffic, but that would obviously be improved greatly if more users joined.

I live in CA so BOTH HO and FTC have been very useful to me as my CH interest has waned. My initial impression of the newest entry (Chowhoundboards) is that it’s more challenging on my small iPhone. I’m sure I’ll give it a try though.

3 Likes

At least she didn’t say Frisco!
:slight_smile:

6 Likes