Ricer cooker/steamer?

For me it’s technique rather than specific pot - for basmati, wash rice well & put it in a pot with a well-fitting lid and 2x water. Bring to a boil, cover, turn off the heat, and let it sit for 20 mins or until ready to eat. Works for small (1/4c) or large quantities.

My other favorite method - especially when stove space is limited - is in the microwave. Large bowl - 7c round Pyrex for up to 2c raw rice, or 4c round for up to 1c rice. Wash well, add 1.5x water, bring to a boil (3-5 mins), then cover with a plate and let it sit in the microwave. Add 1min (30s for <1c) of cooking time every 5 mins or so (2/3 times max) and leave it while you finish cooking whatever else. As in the stovetop case, it cooks in the steam and residual heat. There are times when I forget to add the extra minutes and the rice is still perfectly done.

Final - and quickest - method is in the pressure cooker, preferably pot-in-pot. Put water in the base of the PC, add inner pot (with rice and 1.5x water) and lid if you have one, close PC and bring to pressure. Mine is an old whistling type - 1 whistle, turn off, natural release. In a Kuhn Rikon or other stovetop type, 5 mins at pressure and natural release. I like the texture better the other two ways, but this is the fastest in a pinch.

1 Like