Rice pudding and other rice desserts

Ah, that makes perfect sense. See you in two monthsšŸ˜‰

1 Like

Tonight, 4 cups coconut milk, 1 cup oat milk, 1 cup arborio rice, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 split vanilla bean. Cooked in stove pot on med low for 1 hour. Once room temp , stirred in small slivers of orange peel. Chill.

3 Likes

My partner loves kheer, an Indian rice pudding with seemingly endless regional variations; I think he often suggests Indian takeout simply so he can order it!

4 Likes

Which reminds me of a dish an old acquaintance once made for a gathering, called firni or phirini, made with crushed or ground rice:

3 Likes

Love kheer and other Indian desserts I have tried at sweet shops.

2 Likes

Here is the hacked version!

4 Likes

Tyou!

The lemon zest is perfect. First recipe in the ipot.

3 Likes

Mmmmmm. Rice pudding! Let me count the ways. Classic with raisins and sprinkled with cinnamon, chocolate, lime and coconut. Iā€™m a big fan, but unfortunately my waistline isnā€™t :slight_smile:
Rather than dessert, how about arancini?
Hereā€™s one of my favorite sites for unique Rice ideas

Eta: Iā€™m intrigued by the idea of combining rice, water, and coffee in the pumpkin latte rice pudding recipe. Rice for thought.

1 Like

I make a French version, with side of caramel
200 gr short grained rice
1 liter milk
200 gr sugar
1 vanilla bean
200 gr cream, whipped
Heat the milk with sugar and vanilla bean. Add the rice.
Cook on o heat for 20 minutes. Let cool 20 minutes. Carefully blend in whipped cream.

Make a caramel wtih
150 grs sugar
CAREFULLY add 50 grams butter, then 20 cl heavy cream

Pour caramel into individual dishes, the fill with the rice pudding

3 Likes

Youā€™ve forgotten the candied nuts, walnuts, almonds, pistachio etc. Once youā€™ve tried that, you canā€™t live without thatā€¦with the salted caramel. Divine!

Yes, thatā€™s Lā€™Ami Jeanā€™s version, but frankly I prefer it without. (Dinner guests who have had both voted this simple version cleaner and, with humility, superior,) But be my guest and top it off to your heartā€™s content. :hearts:

1 Like

Btw, I think the whipped cream version is already lā€™Ami Jean, the classic recipes use milk. Twice at chez LAJ, the nuts toppings were slightly burnt, became bitter in taste.

Unpleasant nut flavor, agreed. Perhaps the reason I shy away from it.

FWIW, the recipe I referenced is from Stephane Renaudā€™s ā€œRipaillesā€. It is quite similar to Thierry Bretonā€™s.

Many Portuguese bakeries have a rice flour cake that looks like angel food cake.

This rice pudding with fresh and dried lychees, rose petals and raspberries looks neat
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5oevrwh6rk/?igshid=1h8zigaq0d5y9

1 Like

Can you illustrate with a photo? THX.

1 Like

This recipe has no wheat flour

1 Like

Another rice flour only recipe.

1 Like

This is sort of a riff on rice pudding that my mom fed me regularly as a kid. Cooked rice, mixed with roasted mashed winter squash - usually butternut, sugar, and milk. Cooked for a while together, served room temp or cold for breakfast. I have fond memories.

1 Like