Restaurants Lost to the Pandemic................NJ Edition

This still doesn’t mention the previous owners, which makes me think they’re trying to hang onto the customers without spelling out the fact that they’ve changed hands.

3 Likes

bingo- they were careful to only call it “One Willow”, but never said that Trama is no longer involved. Threading the needle here.
Looks like new chef worked at Prime 13, Blend on Main for a bit then at Albarino.

2 Likes

And from what they told me the fried potato and yucca app is from Albarino.

3 Likes

The more I think about this, the angrier I get. And I say that with great empathy for restaurants right now…it’s completely deceitful to have the public think that it’s still somehow connected to Trama’s (and oh, btw, I’ve never been). If you have a terrific chef, why not tout him and his experience? The timing with the pandemic shouldn’t change that, imo.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t consider Prime 13 or Blend on Main all that enticing - never been to Albarino.

2 Likes

I went to Albariño a couple of times and was looking forward to trying more of the menu.

2 Likes

I’ve heard good things about them just never got a round to going. Maybe someday…

1 Like

Am I the only HO who thinks that One Willow minus Trama could be a good thing?

I went last year on the screaming word of a friend who thinks Trama is a wonderful chef. I asked his wife, the hostess/manager if he was in the kitchen that night and was assured he was. We proceeded to order too much expensive food and not one of the four of us really enjoyed it. So much so that when our server asked if we wanted to take the bountiful leftovers home we all passed.

I left vowing never to return. On the other hand, I like Albarino and I may go to One Willow this summer to enjoy the view and try the new food.

6 Likes

Yes and no. I completely understand where you are coming from but you’ve got 3 parties involved here;
1.) land & liquor license owners
2.) Trama who I’m sure still is obligated to the lease
3.) the “new guy”/chef/operator

So I bet Trama is still “involved” to a certain degree. So they are all covering their asses from the liquor license and lease aspects.

2 Likes

Ah…thanks for all of that–didn’t realize those items weren’t transferable from a business perspective.

As you were… :rofl:

1 Like

There may be even more parties involved.

4.) Investors in either the old or new groups (or both) who don’t fall into categories 1-3 but have certain “rights” or ability to approve or deny certain changes.

5 Likes

I have a feeling that one of my favorite places, Portuguese Manor in Perth Amboy, has bitten the dust. Called three days in a row to inquire about outside (and until this afternoon, inside) dining and the phone kept ringing until a voicemail which directed me to their website which seems to be offline.

So many memories there, especially with my dad. I hope this isn’t the end, but it seems so.

They’ve been on the downward for years, and every time I’ve eaten there since roughly 2018 I’ve wondered if it was my last. With my birthday Thursday, I was hoping for one last go around. Guess it’s not meant to be.

4 Likes

http://www.marbelorestaurant.com/

I think that they made a great setup for outside dining with the assistance of Long Branch. You might want to give them a try. Great restaurant!

2 Likes

Thank you for the rec. Was there in my pre-blog days and enjoyed it very much.

2 Likes

I’m actually very torn on what to do for my birthday. I was 50/50 on indoor dining, but now that decision has been made for me. That aside, I was thinking a day at the beach and dinner out or heading over to New Hope, PA, which is full green, and spending the day there. However, Justin is very hesitant about eating indoors and that town can get pretty wild and I don’t want to be in a Donovan’s-esque situation. It has made me think twice, so we will be staying in NJ.

But where to eat? Barnacle Bill’s would be my first choice, but they are not even doing outdoor dining. Salt Creek Grille has a large outdoor space but is not taking reservations. The view would be worth the decent but not spectacular food. I’m not sure if Nonna’s is taking reservations, but I’m not going to drive 45 minutes without being guaranteed a table. LOL. Mar Belo seems like a nice option. I’ve always wanted to go to Angelica’s but their website reservation system was not working as of last night.

UGH.

I’m stuck. I’ve asked Justin and mom for ideas. They have done to me what I always do to them on their birthdays: “It’s your day and 100% up to you!” But I have a bad case of indifference. I just want someone to tell me what to do! :fearful:

UPDATE: I called Nonna’s and they do take reservations, so I have made one for Thursday night. Not my first choice, but it has always been a solid option for special occasions over the years. Good food, par excellence in bread, and great martinis. I’m satisfied…unless something else comes up!

2 Likes

IL NIDO!!! Seriously one of the top meals I’ve had since moving down here… Heirloom Kitchen is the other.

5 Likes

Funny. We may finally try Heirloom Kitchen now. I cannot sit still for 3 hours so dining there before was not even a consideration. Now, one of those outdoor tables looks good!

1 Like

think I read somewhere on FB Angelicas is already booked up for the whole summer for outdoor seating.

4 Likes

Hoffmans in LS is kaput…

Not close but I did a beautiful lunch here a while ago and their Instagram looks lovely. If the weather is nice this could be a fun option. Looks like they do reservations too. Happy early birthday!!!
https://brickfarmtavern.com/

2 Likes