Restaurants Lost to the Pandemic................NJ Edition

Thanks for the heads-up. Somehow instant :ramen: [pho] just isnā€™t the same. :cry:

(Yelp seems to indicate they are open seven days a week, but Iā€™m still going to skip Mondays, since they used to be closed then.)

Olive & Ivy on Route 35 in Eatontown has big ā€œSpace Availableā€ signs on it, so Iā€™m assuming itā€™s closed.

1 Like

Yeah, theyā€™ve been closed for a whileā€¦ thatā€™s a shame.

I am convinced that location is just cursed ever since the diner closed up years and years ago.

1 Like

The All Seasons Diner is a tough one to complete with and The Americana ainā€™t too shabby either.

3 Likes

Add Europa grill in Shrewsbury to the list. Believe they closed in april

Just as I started enjoying them again I got a very bad to go order from them and that was it for me.

It sounds like they had a really had a rough go once Covid hit

Yesterday afternoon I went to a local bar and grill with some family members. We took a table outside since the weather was nice and there were several other parties seated at outdoor tables. The owner was running the show himself and told us he couldnā€™t provide table service because he couldnā€™t get any help, but said if we came in to order he could take the food out to us, so we did. After we were done I went in to settle the tab, not wanting to have to make him leave the bar to run it out to us. I paid by credit card and added a generous tip out of support for the business because I knew he was doing his best under the circumstances. I checked my credit card activity today and the tip was never added to the charge.

8 Likes

There is normally a delay before a tip shows up on your charge bill. (It seems to be about three days.) This is probably because when they scan your card for verification, all they have to charge you for is the bill (plus tax, if any). When you write a tip on the paper slip, that has to get sent to the credit card company somehow (do they fax it, or mail the slips, or what?), and that takes a few days. Have faith; it will show up.

2 Likes

Right you are! Not sure of the process, but the full charge now shows.

2 Likes

My friends report that Kyoto in Manalapan has closed. Given that it often looked closed before, I assume they had some other indication.

(Their daughter is dealing with all her favorite places closingā€“not just restaurants, but the thrift shop she liked, the supermarket they had always gone to, and even their synagogue where she had taught Sunday school for many years.)

Yes, they have been closed for likely over a year now and they have been trying to find a new tenant (big sign outside)
Kyoto was decent, but with Sakura and Konbu both in close proximity (and imo much better), Iā€™m not surprised they didnā€™t survive.

Speaking of sushi, anyone been to Piramida in manalapan? Just opened in the old five guys spot in town pointe.

1 Like

Junior is in Florida now, Iā€™m told. He was at Butcherā€™s Block after closing Graze.

2 Likes

Thanks and welcome. Thatā€™s a bummer, he was talented dude and def brought something different locally. I get it though. Hope heā€™s doing wrll

2 Likes

Not lost, but changed: Big Edā€™s BBQ now adds an 18% tip to all dine-in orders.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if this is due to the pandemic, but former Top Chef Ariane Duarte is selling her restaurant, Ariane Kitchen and Bar. September 30th will be their last day. They have been opened for 7 years. Chef Ariane ran one of my favorite restaurants in Montclair prior to that (CulinAriane). Below is the email I received today.

2 Likes

I see that Skopos Hospitality owns a few restaurant/bars up in North Jersey (like the Barrow House and Cowanā€™s Public). They seem to know what they are doing.
https://www.skoposhospitality.com/restaurants

We had the pleasure of eating there once. A very memorable one time. Like a number of places, we should have gone there more when we still could.

2 Likes

We went there a couple of times but would have gone more if they were a BYO. We went to CulinAriane monthly.
Iā€™ll miss the cornmeal crusted oysters with horseradish sauce the most.