Restaurants Lost to the Pandemic................NJ Edition

No, dine in was not the issue. I do believe you had to call in every order and they still weren’t letting people in the store. As my wife said, and I’m paraphrasing, “Bakery items aren’t like food…who wants to plan ahead to pick up a couple sand bars and scones or whatever…you just want to go and pick some up”

3 Likes

agreed, thats a huge hassle. I like to just pop in and see what looks good/fresh and grab some for the next day or two. Otherwise I’ll just head elsewhere where I know they have a selection. That was one of my main issue with Ye Olde Pie Shoppe in LS, I would get there at 830 AM and there would be three things to pick from; no thanks.
I get not wasting $$ on putting out a full display every day to go to waste; but they could have tried to use FB or IG to put out to customers what they were making each day to get people interested. EG, today we have brownies, cookies and macaroons, come check them out. I’d rather know what I was going to see from a limited menu rather than going all the way there and seeing they hav nothing.

3 Likes

And another…

Shipwreck Point in Point Pleasant

1 Like

Wow

1 Like

Wow. Just read their post on FB …not sure if it’s for good or for the winter though ?

1 Like

You literally just beat me to the punch, I just downloaded this from FB myself and was about to post it. From the tone, although they say winter, it sound more permanent to me. I do hope I’m wrong, I’ve had many a good meals here over the years, though a bit peeved at some of their pricing changes, I would never say it was a bad spot to visit. I hope they do return in the spring, one can only hope.

2 Likes

You mean my tarts are no longer flaky???

Who do I see about this??

2 Likes

Oh, DEFINITELY “for the winter months.”

I read it as permanent closure, and I suspect we will see a lot more “shore” restaurants whose summer business used to carry them the rest of the year closing because they have no surplus from this summer. (A publisher once justified printing a much maligned series by explaining, “It’s the engine that pulls our train.” That is, the profits from the series let them take a chance on really good, but less commercial , books.)

1 Like

Olive and ivy Rt 35 Eatontown was dark tonight at 9. Not sure if that’s new COVID hours or a sign of closure. Has anyone been there lately.

I think they are done. I’ve driven past there a few times in the past month at various times and never seen them open.

1 Like

Yelp says they are closed and their website is no longer active, I never saw lots of cars there prior to Covid

Boston Market, Middletown. Not a major loss, but it was part of our monthly routine when we had our Middletown Library book discussion group. I guess it’s Pueblo Magico if/when the group starts up again.

I liked their corn muffins.

Back before they discontinued the baked apples as a side, Mark used to make apple cobbler by crumbling a corn muffin into the apples.

2 Likes

I wasn’t familiar with this place, but add it to the list…

I didn’t realize they were already added to the list, but yes I’m 100% sure they are done. They were doing curbside early in the pandemic, but that stopped and the place has been vacant for several months. Sad because honestly this incarnation was the best of the 3-4 before it.

2 Likes

One less David Burke Restaurant. David Burke at Orange Lawn has bitten the dust.

1 Like

Not sure if you were a fan of this location or his brand, but trust me he owned a restaurant near me and I observed him on more than one occasion “drunk and disorderly”. Especially given the fact he was the owner / operator of the location, it’s one thing if you are out for a night with family / friends to have a good time, it’s another when you are making an ass of yourself in your own place while you’re on the clock.

5 Likes

I haven’t been to any of his restaurants but I know there aren’t many fans of his on this forum :slightly_smiling_face:

I agree that the drunk and disorderly behavior is very unprofessional during business hours and would definitely turn me off to returning to any of the owner’s restaurants. It’s a shame because the food seems very creatively prepared but I have never tried any of it.

1 Like