Restaurants Lost to the Pandemic................NJ Edition

Unfortunately several of their locations will not be re-opening from what I have heard.

@CurlzNJ @MsBean I was a fan but of the Committed Pig in its early years but the novelty aspect wore off and I hadn’t been there in at least 3 years. Can’t say they ever did anything wrong (well one time I ordered a pork roll egg and cheese and the egg wasn’t fried, the yolk was still liquid and when I bit into it squirted all over my jacket. When I asked for napkins and water the waiter said I had to specify I waned the yolks cooked??) so I wish them well with whatever their plans are.

2 Likes

Sadly, add Via45 in Red Bank to the list. :cry: Last dinner was served on 9/12.

3 Likes

While not their biggest fan, I’ve enjoyed several meals there and certainly respected the job they did. I actually had a lovely meal on the sidewalk pre-covid. Dam shame.

4 Likes

I drove by Via45 a few days ago with the intention of hoping to snag a table and found it odd they were dark. Now I know. Will miss them.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update. Their FB and website are not reflective of that!

3 Likes

I can confirm Via45 closing. The ladies were cleaning out their basement this morning.

2 Likes

I was never a huge fan though I did go every once in a while as The Sprout liked it. Despite having owned a sandwich shop I’m not a sandwich person. The Sprout and most of her friends loved it though.

I wonder, though if other locations are closing, whether the new Manasquan location will actually ever open. It’s a pretty big space compared to the old location and I believe they bought the liquor license as well.

1 Like

Wow that’s interesting, time will tell I guess!

2 Likes

Looks like they may reopen down the road just not in RB. Might be a theme we see, spots relocating to cheaper rent locations with more room for take out and outdoor seating utilizing a courtyard or other space.

2 Likes

Interesting…one would assume that if they are going to relocate it must have been the pandemic compounded by the “Red Bank Tax” that accelerated their closure. You would think some of the landlords would try to work something out to help keep their long standing tenants going. I guess that wasn’t the case here. Sad

2 Likes

I heard the ladies were just plain tired. They’ve been doing this a looooong time and now that things are harder, it’s a good time for a well deserved rest. I personally floated them using their kitchen for a delivery only ghost kitchen for breakfast and lunch and then only doing a small dinner service. They told me they had been offered a rent break too.

Whoever wrote that article has got a lot of nerve. It says they only got a recorded message and they didn’t even talk to either of the ladies. Idiot!

4 Likes

Holmdel Cheeburger Cheeburger Shuts Down Permanently

2 Likes

I have no idea how it stayed open so long. Only two visits there for me and that was enough.

1 Like

Just saw in RBgreen, ladies were interviewed for article, looks like they are moving to catering and takeout model. Smart as I think that is where a lot of the space will be focused from a customer perspective for a while. Will be interested to see where they open up shop in the future.

2 Likes

Add The Flaky Tart to the list.

The Flaky Tart has closed

2 Likes

:open_mouth:

Oh Jesus…someone check on @seal…this just might put him over the edge!!!

3 Likes

They were a good example of a place that didn’t/couldn’t adapt to the current challenges. It was a lot of work to try and spend any money there. Believe me, my wife tried :smiley:

1 Like

Another article for those who refuse to pay the APP

Count me as someone who always struggled with these guys as a go to place. Never had anything I wanted to pick up even before Covid. Was always order ahead…

2 Likes

I wonder how many places these days are truly quitting b/c Covid knocked them out (I’m sure it is a lot though), I suspect a fair number of places closing up are b/c they were thinking about it for a while and this gave them a final reason to do so. I can’t imagine dine in was a huge part of the business plan for Flaky Tart. Sure parties and catering are prob down somewhat, but it’s not all together gone.

1 Like