Restaurants, Bakeries, Food shops and Coffee shops in [Southwestern Ontario] [London, Ontario] [Windsor, Ontario] [Stratford, Ontario]

I ordered original katsu (a bento with chicken or pork katsu, rice, pickled daikon , macaroni salad, cabbage salad and tonkatsu sauce, tonkatsu ramen, extra cabbage salad and a rainbow roll from Katsu Express, unintentionally.

I meant to order from Katsuya, 2 blocks further south on Richmond Street.

I liked the original katsu. The tonkatsu ramen was just okay. The toppings were good but the ramen noodles themselves were not good. I would skip the sushi rolls at Katsu Express.

I will try Katsuya next time.

I’ll also try Plaza Sushi, which is a new Japanese spot for sushi in London, and getting some positive reviews on Reddit.

1 Like

I tried Company Bar in Wortley Village, which is sceney place for London.

The side patio had less airflow than the front patio.

They serve happy hour with half price oysters and charcuterie during the week.

We tried the shishito peppers, ricotta toast with xo sauce and freshly fried potato chips with a beer and cheese sauce (they held the bacon. The food was good. . I had a non alcoholic margarita called a gnarita which I liked, it contained Seedlip. ($12). My friend had a craft beer. I will go back, but I will sit on the front patio. Busy place!

Company Bar is owned by the Wolfe brothers who also own Los Lobos and Through Thick and Thin Pizza.

Their restaurants can be on the style over substance side, but the food is usually tasty.

Fish and chips takeout from Archie’s on Wharncliffe was okay. Archie’s currently has 3 locations in London. The food is pretty good, and it’s convenient. The staff are friendly.

The fish fillets are thinner, the fries are okay at best. The coconut shrimp were a nice change. Coleslaw is not included with the dinners at this Archie’s location.

Kipp’s Lane Fish and Chips and Luan’s fish and chips taste better. Archie’s is much quicker.

Birria quesadilla, lengua tostada and churros from Mexican House in Cherryhill Village Mall. The owner will also be running a full service restaurant in the old Prince Albert Diner space on Richmond St at Albert St downtown.

New bubble tea and Asian roll cakes at Galaxy Cafe in Cherryhill Village Mall. I haven’t tried anything yet.

2 Likes

My pleasure! :slight_smile:

Happy to hear you like many of the same places. :slight_smile:

Yasmine’s has been one of my favourites for takeout. I order from there maybe once every 2 months.

The LdnOnt spots on our regular take-out rotation the past 2 years have become Kipp’s Lane Fish & Chips, Yasmine’s, Budapest, David’s, Craft Farmacy and Byron pizza.

Sagi of Wortley and the Thai spot in South London are next on my list. I also want to try a few more Chinese spots that have opened up.

I am sometimes picking up some tips on Reddit,

Box Lunch is open only a few days a week. It looks tempting. I haven’t been yet.

I noticed there’s a new Nigerian restaurant on Market Lane, as well as a newish Brazilian stall at the market.

Churis Bread Bakery on Adelaide has a stall at the market, too. I’ve only tried the location on Adelaid. They sell pao de queijo, which I haven’t seen in London until recently.

@bbqboy
I’m guessing I’ve ordered a dozen enchiladas in Canada in the last 20 years and I’ve given up. The Mexican-run places focus on tacos and stews, and the Canadian-run and Salvadoran-run places don’t know what they’re doing when it comes to enchiladas.

To put it into perspective, Chi Chi’s enchiladas in the 1980s before ChiChi’s left Canada, would be an 8/10, and the enchiladas I’ve been ordering would be a 5/10.

1 Like

Food costs are rising quickly and several London, Ontario restaurants have closed since I started this thread. Some restaurants that were offering take-out in 2020, 2021 and 2022 no longer offer take-out.

Here is the newer London, Ontario take-out thread. [London, Ontario] take-out