[London, Ontario] take-out

Good quality and generous Cantonese take-out from Congee Chan tonight.

3 Likes

I ordered from Meesai Thai in Byron yesterday. Overall, a great experience.
I ordered the grilled beef ribs, salad rolls with shrimp, massaman eggplant veg curry, basil beef stir fry and shrimp Pad Thai. The basil beef was a corn starch sauce type which seems to be standard in London whenever I order it. $95 including tax, before tip.

I like the drier pad kra pao type served at Toronto’s BKK, NaNa, Pai and KSR more.

I would order the other dishes again.

I want to try Sai Thai’s pad.kra pao.https://www.saithaichef.net/

We enjoyed the pork katsu, tempura and 3 rolls from Gozen in Oakridge. It’s run by Koreans. The food is affordable and fresh. It is mid-range.

As far as I know, Shiki is still the only Japanese restaurant run by a Japanese family in London. I haven’t ordered from there in ages, might have to revisit this year.

1 Like

One of the 2 Greek clubs in London offers take-out on select Thursdays. For every 4 meals they sell, they donate a meal to the homeless. They feed around 200 homeless people at one of the shelters a few times a year.

In addition to the Moussaka, chicken souvlaki, Spanakopita, Dolmades and salad in the photos above, I ordered Tiropita, extra potatoes and baklava. Generous portions.

Better tasting food than a couple of the Greek restaurants in London. I’m not crazy about their rice, which was part of the family combo dinner, so I might do all à la carte rather than a family combo another time, or ask them to hold the rice.

Greek Canadian Community Centre of London on Sarnia Road’s IG profile

3 Likes

We enjoyed a pretty good Tom Kha Kai, Pad See Eww and Golden Curry from Thai Cuisine on Gainsborough Road. Fairly limited menu.

I like Meesai’s, the Thai place in Byron, a little more overall.

Vegetable Pad See Ew (stir-fried rice noodles)

I still haven’t tried Sai Thai Chef on Wharncliffe South. Hope to try it in May.

2 Likes

Very nice take-out from Sagi in Wortley Village. This small restaurant inside an old house was packed. Very popular for after work drinks. I was surprised to see many people my age. This never happens in London, ON. This is where the 35-65 yo set are going for nice dinners. Sagi

I phoned the restaurant to place the order and it was ready in 50 minutes.

I ordered the fried noodles with shrimp and chicken, pork pad kra pao / holy basil pork, and lemongrass salmon.
Banana-leaf wrapped Lemongrass salmon. The salmon was cooked perfectly. Usually, take-out salmon has been overcooked in my past 4 years of take-out in London, so this was happy surprise. $34

Stir-fried noodles with chicken and shrimp (not sweet like many Canadian Pad Thais, but also not saucy or heavy on the soy sauce like many Pad See Ewws, very good) $27 Cdn

They call this Holy Basil, with the option of pork, tofu, chicken or shrimp, it’s Pad Kra Pao :slightly_smiling_face: $24 Cdn, upgrade for shrimp

Everything was great and portions were generous.

Sagi is serving pad kra pao how I like it. Sagi is a contemporary continental restaurant with several Thai dishes. They’re doing better renditions of the pad kra pao than at any of the 4 Thai restaurants I’ve visited, where I’ve ordered it!

I also got a Wortley maki/ roll to go at Roll Roll, also in Wortley Village. I will be back to order more rolls another time. I liked it better than most places I’ve tried in London. (Plaza, Gozen, Tanakaya most recently)

At Sunningdale and Richmond, in a newly opened strip plaza , there’s a new Japanese restaurant called Hanabi, mostly focused on rolls and noodles. I was also happy with their take-out sushi recently.

3 Likes

Lovely Turkish breakfasts at The Capppa in Hyde Park. It’s possible to order online.

2 Likes