Red Horse, Rumson

Absolutely agree if 3% makes a difference in a high end restaurant that’s just insulting.

5 Likes

My offer still stands whether it’s $5.00 burger night or $5.15 burger night.

3 Likes

Lol @coldbeer70 !!!

Not that I have much interest in eating Burke’s food, but I definitely would love to see everybody, so we’ll see.

3 Likes

Remember to bring cash! I’m not splitting the 3% with you because you want to earn more miles on your United card for those trips to that swingers island you go to.

I’m down to give it a try, paying cash. The policy bothers me but being a Peter Lugers fan, I would be a hypocrite to call one restaurant out, while my all time favorite is a cash only establishment. So I agree poor policy but I give them a pass. That’s just me!

5 Likes

Perhaps this is a bigger discussion for the site, but I think the difference here is a world-famous restaurant just outside of NYC vs. a ‘famous’ chef with a long local history and a new spot in Central NJ. That’s MY two cents.

3 Likes

David Burke ain’t no Peter Lugers though. And at Peter Lugers you can get their Peter Lugers credit card to pay :wink:

5 Likes

No look I agree completely and I do “get it” and don’t blame anyone who is irked by it. I just feel like a hypocrite because I “accept” cash only policies from restaurants I actually like! Lol

@AndrewMalecki I’m well aware I applied for my PL card 25 years ago!!! lol Trust me I’m not trying to put Burke and Lugers on the same level.

ETA
Plus I already can’t stand Burke I don’t need any more reasons!! :joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

7 Likes

I wish they just open a Peter Lugers in NJ instead of another David Burke! They got that second location in long island. Make a third in NJ.

4 Likes

Long Island doesn’t have the same mystique to it like Brooklyn does. Though the Brooklyn of today is a lot different than the one I visited on my first trip to Lugers nearly 30years ago.

5 Likes

Well had an open night and the wife and I have been dipping our toes back to indoor dining, we decided to give them a try. It’s a Thursday at 7pm in the waning days of a pandemic, how busy can they be?

Pull up promptly at 7:20 and disappointed to see no valet parking. So I continue around to see the extensive parking lot, which I’ve never previously seen, and every spot was taken. After doing an awkward K-turn back into the street, the street was lined with cars for a block in each direction.

Maybe there was an event in the area but the parking was so dense it made me leery how crowded it could be in there. Admittedly I never went in, but from external appearances it seems things are going well.

Took a road trip to House of Chong which is becoming my favorite real life Indoor dining place. Good night for a foodie!! Lol

10 Likes

For a guy who once had a restaurant that was widely proclaimed “Best steakhouse in Chicago,” you’d think they would get a stinking cheeseburger right? My medium rare burger came bloody rare and fell apart while I tried to eat it!

Other than that there was the usual $20 for a Caeser salad that was barely there and had no trace of anchovies or anything beyond romaine and a few croutons. One half bone to scoop the marrow out of for $22. The best deal of the night was paying $2 apiece for something that should be free - popovers!

I wanted to try it. I did. I will not be back.

8 Likes

Sounds like classic David Burke of missing the mark :confused:

4 Likes

Well I do not have anything to directly report on my experience at Red Horse, my daughter did attend a pre-fix dinner there last night. The cost $ 100.pp+tt - for a 12, yes t-w-e-l-v-e course tasting menu, had me surprised by the seeming value for a place of this “level”. (For full disclosure my daughter is 25yo and while she certainly knows fine dining, it just seems “kids these days” do not have the same appreciation for food or service that “our” or prior generations have.

Anyway, long story short she said it sucked. lol

Couple of notes;
It was packed and they sat at communal tables. She said it reminded her of when we took trips to the Amish farms in PA and we would eat at their family style restaurants. Not something i would have expected here.

The wagyu steak, which she has had before, she said didn’t really taste like anything. She said she thought it was just a slice of filet mignon, served with what she swore was A1 sauce. (ponzu?)

She said the caramel sauce on the desert tasted like sea water. Considering the desert was creme brulee’ not really sure what the deal was there.

Menu:

ETA site won’t let me upload the pic?

7 Likes

About last night… my hubs and I celebrated our 15 year anniversary last night at The Red Horse. Like him or not , the food is absolutely phenomenal! We started with the “clothsline bacon” , it was so good I didn’t even have time to take a photo :rofl: Followed that up with a chopped wedge salad. Then the stars of the night arrived… I had the 7oz filet with the truffle fries! The steak was charred and yet so tender and cooked to perfection . My hubs had the roasted “Rohan” duck served with a beautiful foie gras and cornbread torte!! WOW!!
Another delicious and beautiful dining experience!

11 Likes

From the pics I would be hard pressed to criticize anything, that looks fantastic!! Happy Anniversary to the two of you, glad you enjoyed. (Just out of curiosity why a 7 oz. filet mignon? Anyone share a guess with me as to how you decide 7 oz is the perfect size? lol)

3 Likes

Good question … don’t know why 7oz and not 8 :rofl: but it turns out it’s the perfect size for me … I left not too full and not hungry lol

2 Likes

I think there’s always room for one more once of Filet Mignon!! lol

2 Likes

Happy anniversary! Looks delicious!

1 Like

So sweet :heart: Thank you

1 Like

At least :rofl:

1 Like