House of Chong, Middletown, NJ

Great piece, Greg! Thanks for sharing it here.

1 Like

I thought about making this a series but I’m not sure I have the time to track people down. Plus some might not want to talk. However, if any restaurant owners see this post or that interview and want to reach out to give themselves a platform, I’m down to do it for them.

1 Like

Never say…you just never know until you ask. In my line of work a quick email asking can lead to things you make time for. Owners need to voice their struggle, mission and intent from time to time. Better to write from firsthand insider knowledge then not. In this case, restaurant owners may actual welcome the opportunity to update customers. Look at what’s at stake. Plus FOMO is likely to create business.

2 cents…give or take.

5 Likes

Now fully vaccinated and dipping our toes back into indoor dining I decided this was a good place to try. Obviously the food is great, they have a liquor license and on their best day they aren’t at 25% capacity.!

Delicious and hysterical service straight out of an Asian Monty Python movie. Honestly a very enjoyable night.

I declare a turf war @Metsfan86

Oh the martini!!

11 Likes

Congrats on the vax! Glad you were able to enjoy a nice night of normalcy once again.
Why do I see this ending up like that scene in anchorman? I’ll go team LS and I’ll go one further, I’m team Tito’s vs your Stoli!!!

2 Likes

Want to give props to my peeps at HOC. Always loved your food growing appreciative for your hospitality.

4 Likes

Gotta give props to one of my newly formed favorite indoor dining places. I love the charm of the “we’re so old school we’re cool” aspect to the place. Delicious once again and now my daughter wants in on the action. There was also golden coin (a delicious eggplant stuffed with a shrimp in a hoisin style sauce. Daughter ordered some dumplings which were obviously home made and so fresh and delicious. (I have no clue what the stuffing was). Also some fried rice and moo-shoo chicken.

A lot of leftovers from another excellent and fun dining experience. Perhaps my posting is counter productive because it seems to be getting busier on each visit.

Checking the newly hung lights over the pandemic deck extension prior to the arrival of the pandemic hot tub purchase due shortly!!!

11 Likes

Does that mean we’ll get pics of you eating the dumplings in the hot tub in the future?

3 Likes

Soup dumplings while he’s in the soup!

3 Likes

Xiao Long Bob!!

3 Likes

Hope that translates to: “Bob with the big noodle”.

4 Likes

This. Is. PERFECT.

1 Like

Subscribe to @NotJrvedivici’s onlyfans everybody!!

3 Likes

My. Goodness. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

What’s for Dinner #73 - School’s Back In! Edition - September 2021 - Cooking Discussions / Cooking, Cookbooks, Ingredients - Hungry Onion

2 Likes

When I was a kid my family used to go to the one in Brick all the time. Didn’t know it was the same owners.

2 Likes

Now that Little Szechuan seems to be no more, I’ve really grown on House of Chong. The place reminds me of the old school Chinese restaurant in A Christmas Story, all that’s missing is the duck! Lol

Great as always!

Delicious eggplant stuffed with shrimp in a black bean sauce. Fantastic!

Chicken in garlic sauce. Great!

12 Likes

I’m new to the site, but not the scene. This thread prompted me to comment. Just based on @gcaggiano review alone, I am looking forward to taking my family to House of Chong.

I am old enough to remember the Islander Polynesian Restaurant in Matawan, that was a special treat for my family when I was a kid. We’d always get the PuPu platter, which was amazing, and was usually accompanied with the typical chuckles from my brothers and I (“Dad said poo poo!”).

I tell my daughters - who are now college-age adults - the stories, which are steeped in lore for them. It was a different era, something I am nostalgic for and something I want them to experience.

I will be taking them to House Of Chong very soon. Thank you so much for rekindling memories and congratulate to the Chong family for keeping it going so long!!

9 Likes

Welcome to Hungry Onion!

3 Likes

Good move listening to @gcaggiano the kid won’t steer you wrong. Just never invite him out, he’s nothing but a tease.

6 Likes