Recommended Desserts Toronto & GTA

FLOORED BY A GERMAN…CAKE.!!
I was totally stunned when the lady at the

bakery, inside the farmer’s market at Yonge & John ( next to Octagon steakhouse ) charged me only $20 for this 6 pounds, 10 inch diameter, 3 inch tall " Apfelkuchen " aka German Apple Cake.

Generously packed with diced apple, apple sauce and caramelized apple slices on a crunchy short bread shell. This is one mighty fine and tasty dessert cake!! …and for that price!!! ABSOLUTELY UNREAL!!🤪😋👍👌🍎🍏🥮

3 Likes

Reviving an old question regarding Fraisier.
I tried the Laduree version today hmmm despite my best attempts to justify that Laduree can do no wrong. This one would be a pass for me just because the quality of strawberries was sub par. Other parts are their usual high standard imo good thing I ordered the always dependable pistachio st honore :smiling_face:

1 Like

Was doing a pickup at Laduree yorkdale today somehow. I noticed they offer cakes ! One can order online and pick-up and delivery wasn’t clarified. With Roselle prices going up a lot this might be the next pickup for a birthday cake.
Cafe Boulud is even pricier I recall

2 Likes

I love butter tarts, maybe too much, so I don’t ear them very often. My favourite was actually from Dark Horse coffee and I don’t remember who their supplier was. I’ve heard C&S version is great but now I won’t bother! I always loved the one from Watta Bagel, believe or not, but it’s changed - smaller (which is OK) but, as you said, thicker pastry and firmer filling. I will have to research BaNoi for my next. Up on College, at the Riviera Bakery they had one a molasses-tasting one which was different. Forget pecans, PLEASE. i can also do without the raisins. I want a flaky crust and a slightly oozy filling and I’m happy. PS Is it true that Larry’s Folly has a good one? Finally, what’s the Vegan Danish place like?

I am not an expert by any means as find them too sweet to enjoy. Though I have tried the Maid’s cottage one’s a few times and they are even sold in Toronto downtown. Harvest wagon carries them as have seen them there.
A few others places shown here as well.

The vegan Danish place’s items were pretty awful. I would recommend you skip it.

I’m not as much of a sweet eater as my friend.

Right now, I’m only doing occasional savoury pastries and pizza slices, no sweets!

Ba Noi has an interesting version of the butter tart.

Ba Noi and Circle and Squares were my top 2 in Toronto proper. Dough and Gerrard St Bakery also quite good.

I haven’t eaten any sweets from an Toronto bakeries in about 10 days now.

2 Likes

As one butter tart fanatic to another, I wouldn’t waste your time with BaNoi. Don’t believe the hype. They look better than they taste.

Pusateri’s carries Maid’s Cottage. They are by far THE BEST butter tarts I’ve ever tried. You can actually purchase them directly from Maid’s Cottage. They deliver for $20 (at least they did. The price may have increased).

1 Like

Rachel’s Coffee House on Yonge near Davisville also used to carry Maid’s Cottage tarts. They still might. When my friend and her now ex-husband ran Marvel Coffee (now closed), they carried Maid’s Cottage tarts. Some coffee shops keep tarts frozen and defrost as needed.

It seems Circle and Squares has been taking over the indie coffee shop territory. Available at Annex Espresso Bar on Bathurst and Krave on St Clair W.

1 Like

They are an unstoppable force! Their stuff is great.

1 Like

The last time I asked (a few months ago), the Avenue Road Pusateri’s doesn’t carry Maid’s Cottage any more. Don’t know about other Pusateri’s.

A worthy contender for best butter tarts is the bakery at 13th Street winery in Niagara. I don’t think there are available anywhere else [un]fortunately.

2 Likes

TRIO from DUO!!
My go to place for fine Viennoise and French pastries in the GTA
Coming up to a decade, DUO still maintains the same high standard it exhibited on day 1 of its opening.
Bought ’ Claire ’ ( Apple ), ’ Hazel ’ ( Dark Chocolate ) and a Tarte au Citron to satisfy my sweet tooth today.

2 Likes

My daughter just hand carried a couple of authentic German Apfelstrudel from ‘Fassbender’, Koln!, Germany for me!
Taste soooo good even a day’s old!!..imagine eating them fresh!!

Any fraternity member knows of a place or two that offer similar authentic products?!

PS: For my second hel

ping, 4 minutes in a toaster oven at 375F revives the crispiness…Yuummm!

2 Likes

There hasn’t been much market in Toronto for high quality German and Austria konditorei.

I haven’t tried the Apricot Tree in Mississauga. They have strudel. It’s owned by a German immigrant and his wife. I think his wife might be from Hong Kong. I’m not sure.

The business is for sale, but the owners plan to keep running the Apricot Tree until it is sold.

I haven’t tried the strudel. I’ve been meaning to try it.
I’m more of a cherry strudel or topfen strudel person than apple strudel.

I like strudel drizzled with vanilla sauce, which is like a Crème Anglaise.

Scarborough has a couple German places still making strudel.

Your best bet might be Prague Restaurant at the Scarborough Golf Club.

2 Likes

Strudel was the motivation for me to learn how to make phyllo pastry. Give it a shot; if I can do it, you can. The first few times are fraught, but once you get the hang of it, the door is opened to so many phyllo bakes.

2 Likes

Prague has a great patio, but its not a best bet for strudel in Scarborough. That honour goes to Montmartre. There you’ll find all manner of baked goods, and I’ll add, at extremely reasonable prices. 880g strudels range in price from $8.75 to $10.75
https://montmartrebakery.com/

2 Likes