Recommend dried porcini mushroom source?

I posted a query about this some time ago, and am thinking that there were no replies. But, again, I’m looking to order another half-pound or pound of porcini. I’ve ordered several times from Olive Nation before, and that was mostly fine. On looking to their site, I noticed that they distinguish between regular and “organic” varieties, which seemed odd, in that porcini only grow in the wild. But anyway…

Recommend any vendors? Thanks.

0 Likes

(erica) #2

I’ve found whole and powdered dry porcini mushrooms on Amazon, but that was a few years ago. I also see them sometimes in Asian markets and if.memory serves, Trader Joe’s has or had them.

0 Likes

(Dan) #3

https://saffron.com/store-shop/mushrooms/

We buy mushrooms, vanilla beans and saffron from these folks.

1 Like

(John Hartley) #4

I can easily get dried mushrooms from my supermarket (in the UK) but, otherwise, I would have thought Amazon could be the way to go. I’ve recently bought a couple of relatively uncommon ingredients through them and was surprised how many sellers there were.

0 Likes

Our better supermarkets here always have, but in small packaging dramatically more expensive than 8-oz bags, and less precise as to quality grading and sizing.

1 Like

I usually order them from JR Mushrooms and Specialties on Amazon, but that is apparently just the Amazon storefront name for Olive Nation. I have been happy with them overall and I like that they offer different grades - if you know you don’t need large pieces, you can save a good chunk of change by ordering the AB grade rather than AA. In my experience the flavor is the same.

0 Likes

(Dan) #7

My wife reminded me that Costco has sold dried porcini in the produce section but I don’t know if that’s a regular thing.

0 Likes

I have always had good experiences with Urbani shop.urbani.com

2 Likes

(saregama) #9

+1 Urbani

Costco is one of the better prices when they have them (can be ordered online)

Some of the ny specialty markets might ship.
ETA : most of them do, but kalustyans appears to be the cheapest for AA:

0 Likes

Thanks!

And in that spooky internet way, less than 24 hours after Googling for sources, I got an Email from Olive Nation offering a thirty-percent discount on an order I’d started but deferred.

Work the system people, even if it’s working back!

3 Likes