Recipe for Preparing a Plate of Fruits

Recipe for preparing a plate of fruits - from Chan Sow Lin’s Favourite Recipes, published by Rex Book Store (Pte) Ltd, 1981, Singapore.

I want my money back. :joy:

10 Likes

1980’s and you got a photo, and it’s not black & white. Pretty uncommon.

I have no idea how to plate fruits. Just fill the plate.

1 Like

Man, they even cut the oranges the wrong way. If you cut it they the center, you can get slices that will gently present bites of oranges as the segments split. That’s the best way to eat sliced oranges, imo. Don’t even get me started on those mini bananas… :joy:

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a less attractive platter of fruit - it’s not even appetizing, yet to call it a recipe? :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Those bananas look so phallic. In a really bad way.

1 Like

And oranges and grapes aren’t really in season at the same time. :hushed:

1 Like

Exactly! :joy:

Must be the worst recipe one would’ve ever encountered!

3 Likes

Lol, it is funny in it’s utter lameness, but hopefully there are more than a few keepers in that book. Thanks for the laugh!

1 Like

It was a complete non-recipe, if ever there was such a term. You wondered why it was even written in the first place! :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

As opposed to phallic, in a good way? Haha https://www.thekitchn.com/the-candle-salad-a-retro-recipe-to-make-you-blush-food-history-192197

4 Likes

Is the bowl of fruit recipe any different?

:wink:

4 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

It reminded me of a strange-looking dish served to us during a river-cruise dinner in Hue, Vietnam, back in 2020.

4 Likes

My Aunt used to make that! I never thought anything of it!

I remember cherries, but not on top, and there may have been mayonnaise involved, but not the way it’s described in the article.

4 Likes

Pray tell, is there a recipe for how to prepare a bowl of cereal?

2 Likes

I’m looking for a recipe on how to boil water.

2 Likes

Cooks Illustrated has one, but it’s behind a pay wall.

3 Likes

I bet Milk Street also has a recipe for boiling water, behind a pay wall…

2 Likes

…and Kimball is suing CI for theft of intellectual property!

4 Likes

And will sell you a kit containing a bottle of spring water and a tri-ply lidded saucepan for the attractive price of $249.95 plus S/H and state tax.

1 Like

There’s always that “midnight bacon” one that people had fun with a few years ago.

2 Likes