Recent Cookbook Aquisitions

@Zataar - have you cooked out of the Turquoise book by Malouf? It’s certainly a beautiful book, looks well researched and suspect the recipes are solid too. Just wish it wasn’t quite so big and ungainly - almost like a coffee table book, but it does make a beautiful one.

While not new, recent acquisitions have been The Flavors of the Florida Keys, as well as Turquoise.

Also, the household gained a copy of Sean Brock’s Heritage, a book I’ve been lusting after but resisting. I bought it for H for Christmas, since he came back from our North Carolina trip earlier this month with an interest in pickling and southern charcuterie.

Due to an illness that struck my SIL and me on Christmas morning, we have yet to celebrate Christmas. We’re planning on tomorrow mid-day, so there may be another cookbook or two…

2 Likes

1/3 of recipes are sweets, many others are simple enough, though no photo for each and every recipe. I hope to cook a few things from it and also to use the garum (bottle next to the book).

However, I have been eating pasta every day so I’m not going to start cooking it as soon as I get home.

2 Likes

Digital copy of
https://www.amazon.com/Sababa-Fresh-Flavors-Israeli-Kitchen/dp/0525533451

1 Like

I got the hard copy of this book and there are so many things I can’t wait to make! The only thing I’ve pulled off so far is the labneh with tahini caramel and fruit for NY day breakfast. Tahini mixed into caramel is a very good idea. Have you made anything yet? Looking forward to hearing what you like.

2 Likes

Not yet but I have listened to a few interviews from the author for tips and method as well as a book signing with my sister and wife were we had a few mins to pick her fantastic brain.

Thanks (I think) @Rooster, just ordered a hard bound copy. Very low resistance to books from that part of the world…

1 Like

I have mixed tahini and date syrup together as a spread on toast and as a dip for dried apricot fruit.

1 Like

Love this idea! I have toast every morning so this sounds like a nice way to mix it up. I recently opened a jar of Soom’s chocolate tahini for toast I made for my nephew. That is good stuff!

2 Likes

I’ve got both in my fridge, thanks for the idea. Love all thing dates.

1 Like

That is addictive stuff we use it for s’mores.

It’s excellent as part of a mezze but also a classic Middle Eastern breakfast with bread. I was put on to it by the Syrian guy who ran a small food shop nearby. I’d gone in to buy tahini and he was interested what i was doing with it - I think Anglos were relatively few amongst his customer base.

2 Likes

Same in my area for some time except I’m started to notice a growing audience of late. More for me :wink:

Latest acquisition, though not purchase, is a Madhur Jaffrey book. We had bought an Indian cookbook many many years ago for the beautiful photos, but realized that the recipes themselves were probably not terribly authentic after we learned something about the cuisine. So I found the above at the library and wanted to check it out. Couldn’t do it in the self-kiosk. Went to circulation and they said for some reason, the call number had been removed. There was some sort of a problem with the book but they didn’t know what. I asked whether they could check it out to me and they couldn’t, because they couldn’t track it in any way. I promised I’d bring it back and in good shape and they said it didn’t matter, they couldn’t check it out to anyone else either. And then we were at an impasse. Until they realized they could just gift it to me and rid themselves of this hairy problem :slight_smile:

The thing is about cookbooks, I don’t cook from them. I get inspired, I am entertained, I learn as much as I can from osmosis, but I feel like at this point in my life, I don’t have the time. It requires the kind of pre-planning, pre-shopping, and setting aside of time that I can’t do right now with a job that takes me out of my house 4 nights per week, a working husband, 2 activity laden teens, and a big house with a big yard to maintain. So as far as the day to day, I’m very much in the vein of Rachael Ray’s 30 min meals crossed with Gordon Ramsay’s doorknock dinners.

I subscribed to Bon Appetit for about 5 yrs and loved the browse. Particularly where people would request restaurant recipes from chefs (the rsvp section up front), and I haven’t parted yet with those 60 or so issues!!!

And when I was in law school, and went somewhere to study outside the house or school, it was usually Barnes & Noble, and if I could get it, a table in the cookbook section. Just made me feel warm all over :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Late to this thread. I’ve had a few items at Flour that I consider standouts (I do like her sticky buns), but I’m not a huge sweets person. While I love the look of the Tatte items, they’re a little too nut focused for my taste. Some of those items are good too, but just looking at all the nut boxes and my jaw gets tired.

Joanne Chang also owns Myers & Chang restaurant which has (IMO) a fair amount of tasty lunch/dinner Asian inspired dishes. I’d be more interested in that focus than her baking books.

To keep on point, I finally succumbed and bought the Food Lab: Better Home Cooking through Science right before Xmas, after eyeing it for the last few years. Slowly making my way through it, but really excited to dive into the meat of the book.

4 Likes

Well congrats on the new addition to your cookbook library. Glad you’re excited about it so far & hope you continue to like it as you delve into into further!

Thanks also for your opinion on the Joanne Chang bakery & resto!

1 Like

Thanks for the stories - loved them both! Very cool the library gifted the copy to you! An example of bureaucracy working for the good.

Received my copy of Sababa today, and pleasantly surprised after only the most cursory of looks through it.

3 Likes

Received a copy of Pie, Squared. All types of pie and crusts, made to be slabbed into quarter sheet pans. Liked the concept, and beautiful book!

1 Like

I gave all my cookbooks to my son and spouse to expand their library out at the Peach :peach: Ranch.
Liberating, and now I don’t feel guilty for buying new ones.
A couple of dozen to experience, and a few new to me Southern ones.
Those and Mexican are the ones I collect intentionally.

1 Like