Recent Cookbook Aquisitions

I really want that book. I like Tamimi’s collaborations with Ottolenghi and his Instagram posts look wonderful. I think it’s being released here this month. Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

Lol, my answer is ALWAYS more bookshelves! I may share pictures someday, if I get the courage…@shrinkrap. Anxious to hear what you think of the book. :blush:

Thanks, I think. Sounds right up my alley.

Another vote to see your shelves!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Your cookbook shelves

Just in case you are searching, @lambchop ‘s shelf is now here.

Your shelves look lovely. My order of Jubilee was cancelled and it’s now out of stock on Amazon. :pensive:

Oh I am so sorry, but not exactly surprised. It will have to be a late b-day gift to yourself. You’ll appreciate it all the more after a wait. Do you have any idea how long it might be?

Thanks for the compliment on the shelves. I’ll share more pics soon. Also getting more shelves in the family room soon…but not all for cookbooks.

Wanted to add in this thread, if anyone has a kindle edition of something, and would like me to check the physical book for accuracy, a recipe not online, or whatever you may need, just let me know. I may well have the book. Also, I’ve got lots of regional Jr League and community type books, very old books, a lot of classics and many different ethnic cuisines. Also a ton on kindle too. So would be happy to hunt something down for anyone. I love quests.

2 Likes

I ordered a digital copy last month. Can’t wait to start reading through Jubilee.

1 Like

I just made the tahini olive oil granola from Sababa and LOVE it. I used hazelnuts as the nut component, but otherwise made it exactly as written. It did get a little chewy, and I don’t know if that is from the humid weather or the date syrup. Even chewy - we really enjoy it. I am hoping to do a lot more cooking from Sababa over the summer.

1 Like

Thanks for your recommendation on the granola. I probably have all the ingredients for it already. Have date syrup for sure. I think it’s a great cookbook from what I can tell, but haven’t cooked from it yet. @Rooster brought it to my attention.

I recently got a copy of Fallastin, co-written by Ottolenghi’s partner, and Tara Wigley. At first blush, it seems very solid, with beautiful pictures, and seemingly many more recipes than the Ottolenghi books. Hopefully a bit shorter ingredient lists too, but will have to do a deeper dive into it.

The most recent is Black Sea - Dispatches and Recipes Through Darkness and Light by Caroline Eden. I’ll get a pic posted of the 2 new ones soon.

Thanks again @adawks.

1 Like

My sense is that, yes, it’s a shorter list than Ottolenghi’s usually are. But then, everyone’s ingredient list is shorter than Ottolenghi - I find them overly long and complex and that’s why I don’t cook from his books. He has recipes in my Saturday newspaper’s food magazine and I no longer even look at them, as I know they will always include some hard to acquire item. I’m simply not interested in that level of complication with food.

Was wondering if you’d gotten your copy yet. I too find myself daunted with overly long ingredient lists, or 2-4 recipes within a recipe before you can execute the dish. Sometimes it’s even tiring to read the entire recipe. Tend to prefer straightforward recipes with maximum impact, or dishes that seem more than the sum of their parts. In my dotage, anyway…

Uh oh! You are such an enabler! I might send that one to DIL. I believe they live close enough to the black sea to see it.

1 Like

I know I’m bad!! This one wasn’t even contraband, as I told H it was a travelogue, which it is. But with lots of recipes! Very cool book, underrepresented cuisine, lots of stories too. Think I read on the Amazon page that it won or was short listed for a prestigious prize. Stumbled upon it accidentally when buying 1.99$ kindle cookbooks for IPad.

Is it the kindle edition that you have? Maybe I should check out a kindle sample.

No, it’s the hardcover & happy I went that way. Kindle version not on sale, otherwise would be a good way to preview. At least not on sale as of a couple weeks ago.

Definitely. My favourite recipe/cookbook writer is Nigel Slater. I have almost all of his books and would not want to be without any of them, even if I had to get rid of all of the other cookbooks.

1 Like

Recent cookbook purchases. Most bought used, but very good condition. Some Turkish books, have had for a bit, but haven’t cooked from them yet. I like them all.

Last pic is of Nashville Cookbook, which is a fundraiser for Nashville musicians hit hard by Covid. Thanks to whomever recommended to me. Think maybe @tomatotomato or @winecountrygirl?? Glad I bought it, they’re going to be working on volume two soon.

6 Likes

Interesting purchases you have there, @Lambchop! I can’t claim credit for offering a recommendation, alas.

I’ve been purging my bookshelf to make some room. I sent myself a “free sample” of the Kindle version. I am hoping the illustrations will adequately represent the hardcover version.