Raw Milk. Do you believe in Raw Milk?

Sheep is pretty hard to handle for me. But I bet you could make some mean cheese with it.

I’ve had cow, goat, and sheep.

Never (yet) tried Yak, Yeti, Sasquatch, Buffalo, Polar Bear, or Camel milks. (I might have tried horse milk, fermented, but I was drunk and high as shit at the time, so I’m not sure that this one is not a fake memory)

But willing to try all the above.

As long as someone else does the milking…

Oh I think I did mean water buffalo. I know it is popular in India.

You are right. I have had sheep cheese. If there is sheep cheese, then there must have sheep milk

I haven’t seen sheep milk, but I’ve consumed quite a bit of sheep’s cheese.

Oh yes, I missed horse milk. What do you mean by polar bear? Pretty sure the bear would attack us as we approach it.

1 Like

Water buffalo is different from regular buffalo. When people refer to buffalo cheese, it’s water buffalo.

2 Likes

Camel milk was featured on an episode of “Somebody Feed Phil”. Not the dry; the fresh.

1 Like

I had some amazing water buffalo ice cream, with milk from a water buffalo ranch here in Northern California.

3 Likes

I know many Indian friends of mine swear by a big difference between water buffalo cheese vs regular cow cheese.

1 Like

Yeah, maybe for only the weak ones among us afraid to (a) approach and to (b) milk polar bears!

It takes a special kind of person who can milk polar bears.

Apply Today for milking jobs!

LoL!

:crazy_face:

1 Like

I am a big fan of buffalo mozzarella.

There is a newish stand at a local farmers’ market that sells buffalo mozzarella and ricotta. It’s so fresh and delicious.

1 Like

Just skimming this meandering thread (I don’t have the stamina to follow it). Here’s a concept that might blow your mind @shrinkrap…back in my Asian club kid days in Boston, the guys used to drink whiskey with a cold (cow) milk chaser. I tried it on several occasions - it was actually good!

2 Likes

Buffalo milk (it’s just called buffalo in India, no one would understand if someone called it water buffalo) is much higher in fat than cow’s milk.

So the yogurt, paneer, and so on are much richer too.

When my mom wants to make ghee, she orders buffalo milk for a week or two. Enough cream collected (from the top) for ghee, then back to cow.

(I can’t tell the difference other than when I make tea - needs less of the richer milk to get to the same color. But apparently the ghee is different too - cow ghee is “lighter” to digest and also lighter in color, iirc)

5 Likes

So no one else has had water buffalo milk ice cream? I’m pretty sure I posted about it here. I had it at Farmstead in Napa. They told me there was no sugar in it, and I didn’t believe it.

Resurrecting!

@Chemicalkinetics ; you were there!

2 Likes

Stop showing off.

1 Like

Sheep milk is really great tasting, especially raw and more or less directly from the source (and obituary sheep milk cheese is very common throughout the world and produces some nice flavor profiles

Actually mixing them gives a very nice punch

https://mrbostondrinks.com/recipes/whiskey-milk-punch

I have! Just not in Napa,

1 Like

Okay. But seriously. Is it not a thing?