Raw Eggs in Sauces & Dressings?

Huh?

Sam&Ellas → Salmonellas

2 Likes

and some countries require chickens be vaccinated against salmonella and have essentially zero cases of salmonella in humans.

USA decided it was less eco-friendly and uncost effective to require refrigeration from hen to store. not very good thinkers, and worse at math than covid counters.

1 Like

I don’t recall anyone saying otherwise, but yeah, salmonella is always a risk when dealing with eggs. I would consider that point in the spectrum of common sense. Great PSA for those foodies unaware of the salmonella risks.

Ouch. Mine aren’t as uniformly pretty as supermarket eggs. She’s getting a new batch of chickens so the sizes will be all over the place, but she reduces the egg rate to $5 for those.

I trust the eggs I buy and haven’t ever fallen ill from them. Lucky guy. Happy new year!

2 Likes

I do. This guy, for instance, certainly seems to think that trusting the farmer will protect him.

1 Like

Yeah. Never said salmonella didn’t exist. Been there for as long as I can remember. I do trust the eggs I get. If I have to buy some at a store, I’ll consume those in raw concoctions, too. So, I balance out the risk and reward, and conclude for me and my family, that we can indeed consume aioli. Not a sicky yet.

So where did I say salmonella didn’t exist in the eggs I buy? Gotta be kidding me. Never said farm eggs offer any protection from something that exists in/on eggs in general from here to Australia. Hey maybe some foodie wasn’t aware salmonella is in/on eggs. Great service to the forum. Muchas gracias por educarnos!

To review:

You said that you trusted the farm eggs you bought. Despite the fact that farm eggs are no safer (and may actually be less safe) than factory eggs. Which means you may as well trust ALL eggs, right?

That is the point I was making.

1 Like

Gotchya. Yeah, mine have risks like anyone’s do. I just trust the people I buy from. Beef, lamb, raw milk, whatever. Doesn’t mean the raw milk won’t have the bacteria in it. That was my point. I should tell my producer to have “DANGER SALMONELLA RISK” labels on her eggs. Better yet, I’ll say nothing, and when I die from the deadly bacteria, my family will own the egg farm. Relax. Let folks choose for themselves.

Ipsedixit got it right.

“As a multi-cultural board, it is perfectly fine to express one’s own stance on food safety protocol without coming across as denigrating and chastising others who perhaps have difference stances, or come from different cultural viewpoints, than your own.”

Well written. Happy new year!

1 Like

Thanks Tom. Pretty good overview of progress (and lack thereof, re U.S.) here.

Never gotten sick from eggs. So far as I know, I’ve only gotten one bout of food-borne illness, and that was about 38 years ago when I was in the Army eating (generally really nice) mess-hall food.

So should we move on to a spoonful of raw chocolate chip cookie dough or cake batter?

2 Likes

I hear you. I’ve gotten food poisoning once, from a well-established, fancier Mexican place. Shrimp got me. Little shts!

2 Likes

I dunno, think of the risks. Hope your dough/batter has sous vided eggs.

2 Likes

The Horrah!

(Bugs Bunny in his debut as “The Masked Horror!”)

1 Like

I think (but I could be wrong) that restaurant stuff is most often transmission of intestinal viruses from workers rather than bacterial infection from food products. I mean, look at it from their side - they don’t get paid sick days, so if they catch a bug, they go into work if they can walk, right? If I had kids to feed, I’d sure as hell make it to work no matter what.

I’d guess unless you’re eating at restaurants getting “C” or lower grades for poor temp control, that is.

Of all the hole-in-the-wall Mexican places I’ve been to, never an issue. Spend twice the $ and I got sick. Price you pay for ambiance.

1 Like

Loved that one. “I’ll never mix radish juice and carrot juice again.”

1 Like

Like I said, I don’t think I’ve ever gotten sick in a restaurant. That includes the hole-in-wall Mex places around here. Two of which are just super outstanding. Family run joints, of course, 3 gens, and just great from entrees to sauces etc.

I think most places in the U.S. are a LOT better than in the 1970s and 1980s [1]. I’ve only had one place I go to in the last 20 years ever get a “C” score, and they fixed it within 2 days (a failing freezer that due to oversight (still their fault!) was over temp).

[1] Edit - I can only assume this is because of better enforcement of (e.g.) ServSafe type standards.

1 Like

Not in a restaurant. I was probably 1/4 mile ( sorry, not metric this evening) away, after a tartar, on a walking tour in or near San Sebastián. I seem to recall some complication, but a nice toilet overall.

Nothing to do with eggs.