Raw Eggs in Sauces & Dressings?

One of my favorite drinks as a kid was the Orange Julius with the raw egg addition.

Your probably right about the employee thing, me thinks. Someone who was sick prolly prepped or something. That’s the problem with food poisoning. Evidence is hard to come by. Either way, this is why I’m sticking to the mom and pop Mexican places. I go for good food at a good price. The one by me has been great. They even serve daily Mexican foods, like sopas, pozole, menudo and the like.

I was at my local grocery store and there was a sign on the display stating there was a “Nationwide Egg Shortage” There were no large eggs in the display, but plenty of medium eggs. They had the medium eggs discounted to $7.00 for a 30 pack, so I grabbed a 30 pack. I wanted to make a quiche next week and possibly some egg fried rice, so using medium eggs won’t be a problem. I’ll just use a couple more.
Making my girlfriend “eggs over easy” may be a bit more challenging with medium eggs, but I’ll manage.
Has anyone seen similar signs at their grocery store??

1 Like

No nation wide shortage signs here. Plenty of eggs. Just high prices. And what used to be extra-large eggs are now large size and Large are now the old Medium. No choice but to go with the flow.

Yes! A good amount in stock but the price was yikes! I believe $6 for a dozen of standard not happy chicken grocery store eggs

So much for eggs and avo toast for a quick cheap meal

Yes, it’s all due to avian flu.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/animal-disease-information/avian/avian-influenza/hpai-2022

Also, if you keep bird feeders and/or baths in your yard PLEASE review your local guidelines on whether it’s appropriate to leave them out. It’s affecting wild birds as well and you could be doing serious harm by encouraging bird congregation. I’ve had to take mine down for much of Nov. and Dec., but have put some of them back up in consultation with a local (wild) animal rescue org.

5 Likes

Thanks much for this info.

1 Like

I just went to Trader Joe’s. They had no eggs at all.

Thankfully I have three dozen in my refrigerator. I bake constantly, so I get nervous when I have fewer than two dozen.

I hear you. You think $5 for 36 is great, but with new chickens, sizes vary and a few will be maybe smaller than medium. $7 is for large. I don’t care. Hate to see eggs turning into an indulgence. Scary. Major source of my food life, and many others’. We’ve been lucky here, though.

Thing where I live is that this is big opportunity for farm kids to make extra $. Got some kids steppin’ up. When kids can be quasi heroes for their labor it turns out well. Great side hustle for some.

Small to medium egg producers are often former dairy farmers, so many old dairy lands are now chicken farms. Raising beef on mostly grass (often finished with corn) and a chicken barn is a great sight to see help to the ag world come along. Beef eat the grass, chickens eat the bugs and all. And they do a great job. Make no mistake, chickens get feed; but, as the price of feed jumps, the use of other means might suffice for smaller operations. Fertilizer prices for the bigger crop consideration might be very high. Farmers will have to do with less of that, or pay it, and prices will rise. I think a return to producers growing their own feed for the chickens is a good thing, while raising beef, and growing the feed, can be a nice way for future farmers to roll on. Lambs are great for kids, I notice. Kids might forget to feed the dog, but never forget to spend time with the lambs. Rams can be a tad dangerous at times.

2 Likes

Just paid 3 U$ for a tray of 30.
But then, I am in a total different part of the world

You can definitely use pasteurized eggs for cooking recipes that call for raw eggs. You can find these at most health stores or you can order them online. Alternatively, you could also use egg substitutes such as vegan mayonnaise or tofu, which are both safe for consumption and widely available in grocery stores. I hope this helps!

At my local Costco yesterday, there was a sign limiting members to two cartons of eggs per. There were no 18-packs left. The only eggs they had were the double flats (five dozen), for around 18USD IIRC. Since Mrs. ricepad wanted to make a quiche, we now have a boatload of eggs in the fridge.

sell them on the blackmarket

1 Like