Queen Elizabeth II revokes independence of the United States of America

We’re still formulating slang for a “Biden” in Texas but we’re patient here.

1 Like

I suppose that means you’re just Biden your time.

6 Likes

4 Likes

Yep, Texan for yes or si in Spanish which I speak enough of to communicate with neighbors or at a few local Houston restaurants.

My Honduran neighbor is making big strides on his English. I’m proud of him.

Salud Senior.

2 Likes

I point my finger at how you pronounce ‘laboratory’, myself…

2 Likes

Driving down through Texas Hill Country a few weeks ago, there are still an awful lot of Trump/Pence signs out by the road. The one that got my attention at the foot of a driveway, up on a flagpole, waving away was a yellow and black banner that said. F**k (spelled out) Biden. Even at 70 mph I did a double take.

1 Like

That one made the Washington Post some time ago.

It’s been a long time since we had a candidate for US President I could vote FOR instead of an opponent to vote AGAINST. sigh

We live in the age of Idiocracy. Note food supply impacts in the movie.

2 Likes

I have vowed to vote positively at the next general election, assuming my chosen party stands a candidate in this constituency. They have absolutely no chance of winning here but I am very tired of voting for a second best to try and keep out the most worst.

1 Like

That is hysterical!

1 Like

True, but humor must actually be funny. Inanity does not equate to humor. When I was in school, I went to a talk with the late Gilda Radner. She was talking about comedy. Her observation that comedy is often about seeing the truth before others really struck me. The best humor does exactly that.

For a humorous US/UK comparison, why in the US does the US postal service deliver the mail but in the UK does the royal mail deliver the post?

2 Likes

Ah, but we don’t send eposts. See also tins/cans, fries/chips for other Americanisations of English English. But not bonnets/hoods or trunks/boots on cars.

Except in 21403 where we have a 30 year problem with the USPS delivering anything. It’s more like a lottery than a delivery service. Bah!

For Americanisations: chemists/drug stores, something with escalators, elevators/lifts, napkins/serviettes, cookies/biscuits.

I don’t even know what to say about blood pudding in a full English breakfast.

1 Like

How about trying “black pudding” which is what we call it. And it’s an essential component of the “Full Engish”. Well at least in the north.

As you’ll know, the Full English comprises bacon, sausage, black pudding, mushrooms, tomato (and/or baked beans), fried bread and egg. Regional variations may apply - the “Full London” is likely to include bubble & squeak, while the Full Scottish will have haggis. The Full Welsh includes cockles and l;averbread - obviously making it one of the vilest starts to the day you could imagine. And I’m going nowhere near explaining the Ulster Fry. It does not pay to comment, even in jest, about anything invloving the word Ulster. The best black pudding comes from Bury (on the far side of my metro area). Other places, like Stornoway, lay claim to the “best” but they are false claimants.

As regards eggs, you are likely to be asked what type of egg you want in hotels or other upscale places. It’s a choice between fried, poached and scrambled. In the vast majority of places, you will not be offered a choice and it will be a fried egg. You will not be asked how you want that cooked - it will be what Americans call “sunny side up” (?). Do not ask for you egg to be “over easy” or any other such nonsense. Whoever is cooking the egg will have heard of the term (we all watch American TV shows) but will not know what it means and will have had no experience in cooking one. If in doubt, ask for poached. Everyone knows what a poached egg is. If you are precious about your morning eggs, don’t ask for scrambled. They will be cooked in the European style, so slightly runny, not the “chopped omelette” (or omelet, if you insist) that has often disappointed me in trips across the pond.

3 Likes

If I am reading that correctly you are saying in England a fried egg is what we consider a sunny side up egg is that correct? Because a “fried egg” for us, would traditionally mean it’s fried thru and thru, with yolk fully cooked. A sunny side egg here is with yolk and not flipped at all vs. a friend egg which is fried on both sides.

Ah. New Jersey speaks. grin My wife is the same. She wants the yolk to be a rubber puck, and then generally cuts around it and doesn’t eat it. Now a total of six data points is not statistically significant, but interesting.

I want something runny when I poke the yolk.

1 Like

As do I. I prefer an over easy, not fried. I don’t care for the yolks staring up at me, makes me feel like someone is watching me as I cannibalize them. I think I saw that plot on B grade 90’s horror movie; “The Eggs Have Eyes”.

1 Like

Exactly correct.

1 Like

Yep.

1 Like

Are soft boiled eggs illegal in GB?
Hard boiled a no-no too?
That’s downright depressing!
:slight_smile:

Can’t find it. Found “The Hills Have Eyes” from 2006. Not my genre either. “Eggs have eyes” runs straight down a rabbit hole of Japanese cultural standards of beauty.

New Jersey data points for egg yolk hockey pucks corrected to five, all in my wife’s family. Maybe genetic or micro-cultural vice geographical. I feel a poll coming on.