Queen Elizabeth II revokes independence of the United States of America

No and no. A hard boiled egg is an essential for any British picnic. Or a Scotch egg, of course

4 Likes

To me, ā€˜friedā€™ means left whole and cooked in a small amount of fat and sunny side up, over easy, over hard, etc are just further refinements. Fried vs boiled in shell, poached out of shell, or scrambled.

3 Likes

Yes, my definitions are the same as @Babette, but must be what part of the country youā€™re in. Interesting.
When Iā€™m in the mood for eggs (not often) I like over easy, poached, soft scrambled, omelettes too. Yolks need to be soft, with set whites. Hard boiled as long as no green rings, for salads, etc. Yolks need to be at least partially/mostly set for egg sandwiches - have found this out the hard way with yolk down my clothesā€¦

ETA: meant to put this in the new egg thread. Oh well, here it will stay.

2 Likes

We donā€™t get stuff like this on US TV, I gotta say.
:slight_smile:

I donā€™t think Bragg has ever bettered his first hit - Between the Wars. The lyrics, from 1985, remain powerful today. At least for those of us on the political left.

5 Likes

I saw him at the Eagle Tavern in Manhattan right around the time that came out. Awesome show.

2 Likes

I had a video of the Queen addressing Boris Johnson. I will search for it. :smile:
Is there a video hosting site other than Youtube to upload it? I donā€™t think the language in it will be allowed on Youtube. (Some of you may have seen it Iā€™m sure)

2 Likes

Youtube will usually allow anything. Check out British comedian Tom Walker, in his character of TV news reporter Jonathan Pie. Bitingly funny satire, with lots of four letter words.

All being well, weā€™re going to see him live in September.

I love an good blood pudding with a fried sunny side up egg. You need that soft runny yolk to drag a bit of the blood pudding through. Much better that the bit of granola I had for breakfast this morning.

In regards to English style scrambled eggs, I recall on my first business trip to London I was staying at the Grosvenor House. I had put in a room service breakfast order. The server shows up with the breakfast on a little cart that he sets up on the table in my room. There is this covered porcelain dish in the middle. I open it up and it is full of what appears to be a thick creamy egg drop soup. I like my scramble moist but this thing was drowning.

3 Likes

John @Harters corrected my terminology already. I knew better. I also know what black pudding is. Itā€™s hard to get out of my head. Animals are tasty but some parts are better than others.

I stay at the East India Club in St James Square in London - breakfast was generally downstairs. Iā€™m okay with room service but generally, pre-COVID I liked the ambience of the public rooms.

1 Like

I bet Iā€™m the only one who likes them both ways. As long as the white is setā€¦

3 Likes

By the by as Harters would write, Tim Hayward of the FT had this wonderful article about eggs. Boiled eggs and toast soldiers are a favorite for small children and the Prince of Wales.

https://www.ft.com/content/5600f4e0-55d1-4a72-833f-06386358e4f6

Hayward notes ā€œFew cultures are as invested in the idea of the egg in the shell as the Brits.ā€ Though I do like a nice French oeuf mayonnaise from time to time.

1 Like

Henceforth and hiterto ā€œby the byā€ is now a banned phrase.
Thank you in advance. :smirk:

2 Likes

why for?

shall we add a forthwith and a fortnight?

2 Likes

And fathoms. Iā€™m out of 'fā€™s. Stone. Weā€™ll skip over how ā€˜stoneā€™ fits into the metric system.

Hmmm. A possible link there, IMO.

But donā€™t get me started on the Mountbatten-Windsors. Call ourselves a democracy? HAH! Democracies donā€™t know who their next head of state is going to be until after the election. We know not just who the next one is going to be. But the one after that. And the one after that. Pretty much sorted out for the next century.

Stones, eh? I weigh sixteen and half of them. Iā€™m also five foot seven inches tall. Yes, I am a short, fat old man.

1 Like

Youā€™re a cube! Nothing wrong with that.
Iā€™m 16.07 stones at 5ā€™10ā€ so Iā€™m a rectangular cuboid.
Oh, woe is me. :disappointed:

If it werenā€™t for Americans gushing on about kings and queens and princes and princesses, I suspect that there would be far less interest in the royal family. Seriously why does anyone in the US care about Harry? Oh sad me and my privileged life thatā€™s been so hard on me and Meghan. BFD. Since the constitution effectively outlaws nobility, Americans want nothing more than to have back what we over threw. But thatā€™s American history which isnā€™t even a footnote in history in the UK unless perhaps you were taking A level.

Not to boast, but I will anyways. Iā€™m a solid 12 1/2 stone at 5ā€™ 9". I eat and drink with abandon but Iā€™ve got my lockdown Peloton to counter it. Actually dropped 1/2 stone over the last year. Not old yet but no longer young either. Getting creaky. Dead lifts get harder to do every year.

Cheesy soap operas are popular everywhere.

I stopped deads for good after rupturing my right bicep tendon. Not worth it.

1 Like

Ew.

2 Likes