Potato chip flavors all over the world

Ha ha ha, I was just going to write this!

3 Likes

Phew:

4 Likes

^^ Yikes, it’d blow my head off.

A couple of flavours from Lidl back in December. The “prosecco and berries” one is rubbish! “Pulled pork” is much better.

Also from Lidl, available only during “Spanish themed” week. They probably just used oil from cooked chorizo to flavour the crisps. Tastes just like chorizo.

2 Likes

Well, here is a new one from this part of the world.

2 Likes

Coming soon to a Seven-Eleven near you. If you happen to live in Taiwan, that is. . :wink:

Lays. Betcha can’t eat just one!!!

Pork Belly. Should be a hot seller for the Year of the Pig.

Pizza Al Forno. Pizzalicious!

Baked Potato flavored Potato Chips. Redundant?

BBQ Chicken Drumstick. What’s next, Peking Duck flavor? Wow, like crackling duck skin.

The daughter of a friend asked if we can bring some Flaming Hot Cheetos. So we brought over three bags for her. Exotic!!!

1 Like

I have to say that I like these box packages. I wonder if this is just because these are special flavors.

The pork belly is dong po rou (braised pork belly flavor) and I would love to taste that one! The potato is just their regular flavor. Not sure why it shows a steaming hot potato. Assuming they taste the same as the US regular lays, they are nothing like a freshly cooked potato. :pensive:

Oh man, I’d love to try those, I love cevapcici!

1 Like

Found these at my local Chinese market in greater Boston, and these are either from HK, Taiwan or China. They always have an assortment of interesting flavors (pizza, tomato…), but these were new for me.

The roast chicken wings sound pretty good, but cucumber?!?

Grilled squid doesn’t sound too bad either. The grilled pork is specifically grilled pork belly according to the characters.

3 Likes

A UK company has made fish skin chips. Pretty sure they got the idea from the Singaporeans. (Brought the Singaporean ones back from Hong Kong and am eating them this weekend)

3 Likes

Ah, the unsung hero of the snack world – fried fish skin. I’ve seen fried fish skin as a snack in Chinese markets (usually plan and spicy flavored), but I’ve yet to see it become a more Western thing. The lightly salted one sounds good.

In the old days in HK and perhaps elsewhere, you would be able to walk into some of the fish ball noodle shops and buy fried fish skin as a snack. I enjoy them, though they can start to feel greasy pretty quickly – kind of like pork rinds and chicharones. If you want to go fancy, many sushi restaurants in US have salmon skin sushi that they charge an arm and a leg for.

3 Likes

In the voice of Crocodile Dundee: Thot’s not a knoife! Nowww thot’s a knoife!"
Replace “knoife” with crisps!

Now this how you make flavoured crisps. Delicious and actually tastes like what it states on the packages. I used a spatula to scrape the last of the seasoning in the bags.

Both are expensive but will get them again if I come across them in Asia. It’s all over Hong Kong.

Btw, it’s very easy to cure yolks. I make them often and grate on all sorts of stuff.

4 Likes

Now, that’s a labor of love.

I really hope those chips make their way to the Chinese markets in the states. I would be all over those. And that’s a great idea about curing the egg yolks. I made salted chicken what once but never thought about just using the yolk. I was adding them to noodle soups and other dishes where you use the whole egg.

How do you make your salt-cured yolks? Salt and sugar, or just salt? Three weeks of curing? Refrigerator? Is additional drying necessary after they come out of the salt? I’ve been looking at recipes online, and there are great variations among them.

I don’t use any sugar. Takes about 1 week but I wait until they are firm. Sometimes I simply forget to check on them 3 weeks later. I don’t dry in the oven but it’s necessary to let it dry completely.

I wipe off the salt well before storing. I freeze and use when I need it.

1 Like

Thanks.

1 Like

Saw that in HK, very expensive $50 HKD (5.7€ or $6.46) for 125g. Looks yummy, but priority for real food first, let’s see later…

1 Like

Came across this Korean Calibee honey butter chips several times in convenient store when traveling, didn’t buy it i worry it was too sweet.

Here in Paris, I found !!! Buttery with honey and vinegar. Nice, will buy again.

4 Likes

I liked this one, Chips de Madrid with piments. Cayanne pepper and smoked paprika with very little salt. Made in Madrid.

2 Likes

In Turkey! I like the sound of Baharat!
IMG_20190922_114239

2 Likes