Pork Loin Rut

In reverse order of procedure, here is my easy mock-porchetta

4 Likes

Simply fabulous @pilgrim!

Wow! So appreciate the visuals.

Beautiful! Any thoughts about pros and cons of removing silverskin?

Removed!!

2 Likes

Read Lambchop. Shiny outside is more lighting than silverskin.

So you take it off? And the fat? That’s what I don’t understand. I see recipes and techniques that say take the silver skin off, but leave the fat (see my post October `19) . I can’t figure out how to do that!

I found this thread on Chowhound

This mis a picture show what I usually get; I tend to avoid it because it’s so lean. Most folks know how I feel about meat with no fat! :face_vomiting:

fc51kt076-9-main

Here’s someone breaking down a whole one, and he seems to be referring to the white on top as the fat, and makes no mention of what I thought was the silver skin underneath. Maybe all that white should be thought of as all fat cap, and not silverskin? If so, I feel pretty sill, but also relieved.

Similarly

This one removes silverskin, and the fat with it. I think he says you can leave it on for a roast. It seems the parts of the whole loin vary a bit from end to end. One end is referred to fatty!

A diagram

1 Like

IMHO ON A LOIN, what is left after you remove as much fat as seems reasonable is not silverskin. On tenderloin, yes, there is substantial silverskin that I always remove.

Once more, on the photo, that shine is not silverskin.

2 Likes

Okay, great, and thanks so much for your patience! I get a little obsessed. I have a stuffed loin on my list for the near future. I feel doing what you showed makes up for any of the atrocities of lean meat. Remembering a previous experiment.

Bookmarking it here. I need to work on my butterfly skills.

First and last pictures. Not sure why they are so large.

strong text

2 Likes

Looks luscious! These rolls are even as good or better cold. Lovely leftovers.

1 Like

Thank you!

@pilgrim your butterflying skills are on point.

This video describes the difference between the different (blade, center, sirloin) parts of the loin, and has a pretty good butterflying video, some butchering, a Tuscan pork roll (with a swirl!) ,boneless pork chops, storing, and sous vide tips.

If my freezer wasn’t stuffed I’d break out a couple of masks and head to Costco for a whole boneless pork loin!

1 Like

I cheated. I started out following the “book” method, but realizing it wasn’t going according to plan, I simply continued making a 1/3" cut/slicing rotation. Just kept cutting from outside or beginning edge to the center. I have trouble following a script…

3 Likes

I have another loin, and I’m gearing up to butterfly.

Also dry brining some heritage chops for my favorite

Ftom the abive; Serious eats about pork chops

"#### Choosing Chops

All pork chops are cut out of the same basic part of the pig: the loin, a large muscle that runs along its back from the shoulder to its butt.* Depending on where the chops are cut from, they’ll have slightly different cooking qualities.** At the butcher or supermarket, you’re likely to find at least two out of three of the following cuts:

*Its anatomical butt, not to be confused with the term “pork butt” or “boston butt,” which actually refers to pork shoulder. Confusing, right?
**When talking about this in person, I have a tendency to start pointing out where on the human body these cuts would lie. This seems to make some folks uncomfortable. I don’t understand why.

• Blade chops: Cut from the shoulder-end of the loin. These chops tend to have the darkest meat, and plenty of surrounding fat and connective tissue. They’re packed with flavor, but can have some tough or stringy bits.
  • Rib chops: Cut from behind the shoulder. Rib chops are easily identified by their large eye of tender meat. Depending on which end of the rib section the chops are cut from, they can have either a ton of fat and connective tissue around them (when cut from the blade end), or very little (when cut from the sirloin end).
  • Center-cut chops: The porcine equivalent of a T-bone steak, with a large eye of meat on one side of the bone, and a smaller eye of tenderloin on the other side. Because tenderloin and loin cook so differently, it’s very difficult to cook a center-cut chop evenly without over- or under-cooking one side or the other.
  • Sirloin chops: come from the end closest to the rump. They contain many different muscle groups, some of which can be quite tough. Save these cuts for braising or stewing.

Tastes can vary, but I generally recommend rib chops for pan-searing, and I prefer chops cut from the blade end. Their higher fat content translates to more flavor and easier searing down the line.

I also like to get my chops cut THICK—I’m talking at least an inch and a half. Any thinner than that and it’s difficult to appreciate the nice balance between crisp crust and moist, juicy interior."

3 Likes

Today’s attempts at butterflying pork loin.

I guess I missed a few pictures. Not sure what I am stuffing with, but will unroll it shortly am thinking of stuffing with nduja, bread crumbs, "sun dried tomatoes ", and maybe roasted peppers. I really need to use this nduja.

“Apple Hill” Stuffed Pork Loin Au Jus

Never made it to “Apple Hill” when living near; have you been @shrinkrap? Do have a little cookbook from there however- big shock! BTW, LOVE Nugget markets, as I’ve mentioned before, somewhere here.

1 Like

I have been to Apple Hill, but not in quite awhile. Maybe it’s time again.

Probably fairly safe, or maybe a trip to Amador County?? @shrinkrap.

5 Likes

Beautiful, and very juicy looking @shrinkrap.

1 Like