Pork Loin Rut

Pork Crown Roast means this in the UK:

Has anyone ever actually seen one? I haven’t…A bit 1970s?

Cuts of meat are always so hard. I’m in the USA and when I hear “crown” it means the same thing to me - curled and tied into a round like the link you sent.

I don’t know if there is a universal name for the cut you’re talking about. I’d ask for a bone in pork loin roast (Which of course is the same cut that turns into a crown). But I wouldn’t be surprised if I saw it labeled something like a pork loin rack (or something like that). So often that cut is chopped up into bone in loin chops.

A crown roast of beef, pork or lamb is generally a celebratory item served around the Christmas & New Year’s Holidays. Yes, they were more popular in the 1970’s but I would bet they’ll be making a comeback here in the USA as pork is no longer vilified and is growing in popularity. It’s a spectacular looking, less expensive alternative to beef or lamb roasts.

2 Likes

Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Plums & Rosemary is one of my favorites. I’ve riffed on the idea and used the plums and seasonings as a sauce which cans well.

1 Like

My personal favorite application of the pork loin is in Japanese curry katsu form. If you haven’t tried it, give it a go. The curry and crunch of the katsu is just a great combo. I think all similar applications are delicous also, like a Jaeger schnitzel or parm. It’s great topped with things like white gravy too.

You can also use it for things like sweet and sour pork. I am partial to the Chinese and Korean variations, specifically guo bao rou and tangsuyuk, but they are all delicious as long as it’s crispy. I find the American style batter to be far lacking in crispness compared to other versions.

1 Like

Thanks for all your great suggestions!

Crown roast of beef?!! Wow. That’s quite a thought. Has that ever been done? Man v. food time! Two 7 ribbers bent and tied. That I would love to see! And join in the eating , of course, with a dozen other diners. Wouldn’t fit in my oven.

We made a pork crown roast some years ago. The meaty loin part is rather boring attached to the crispy fatty roasted rib. Everyone wanted the ribs. I concluded that we should have just made ribs. The roast was quite pricey too.

Today, I prepared a pork tenderloin on a bed of sweet onion brushed heavily with hoisin sauce. Baked 30 mins. at 325 topped with foil and then uncovered another 15 mins upping the temp to 400. The onions carmelized in the drippings, the pork had a nice tasty crust and given the three ingredient quick meal, the hoisin doing all the work, the slices are tender, moist and full of flavor.

I buy hoisin sauce bottled at the Asian market for $3-4 bucks for the largest bottle.

I plan to saute string beans and cooked soba noodles in a touch sesame oil on the side. The house smells amazing!

5 Likes

You could also grind the pork loin and make a Thai Larb salad (toasted rice powder, lime, chili, shallot, fish sauce, basil, mint, etc) and serve with sticky rice.

1 Like

I can’t figure out how to do this. The silver skin always seems to be under the fat cap. I heard Alton Brown did it with a tenderloin, but I haven’t yet found the YouTube.

This was interesting. “Whole boneless loin”.

Maiale al latte, pork loin cooked in milk. It sounds Really Boring, but, in short, it wasn’t.

1 Like

Ok, my reply is that I cooked one a few years ago by rubbing it down with an espresso bbq rub,. I then wrapped it completely in bacon and cooked it in my clay pot - remember those?? Anyway, it was absolutely fab and my family thought I was a rock star. Think we just got lucky with some very tasty, succulent piggy. The second one I cooked, prepared and cooked exactly like the previous one, just paled in both taste and tenderness.

2 Likes

You mentioned you had stuffed one before, but this is so festive, thought it might give you more ideas.
Apple, cranberry, walnut, cornbread stuffed pork loin

So many options for sides as well i.e. horseradish mashed potatoes, roasted butternut squash, roasted brussels sprouts & fingerling potatoes, butternut squash noodles …

1 Like

Tried again last night, this time using a Kenji “perfect pork chop” idea, along with an Aji Amarillo one.

Parking this here, since I seem to keep trying.
HOW TO ROAST PORK LOIN PERFECTLY from “Cook the Story”.

This is a tenderloin recipe, but I think I’ll remember to look here.

1 Like

I suggest that Jacques Pépin is a better inspiration for pork loin. Once of his best in my opinion is a thrice butterflied stuffed loin. The first butterfly is a third the way down from the top; the second goes from the ‘hinge’ out on the thick side. Make creamed spinach (roux > onions > milk > bechamel > spinach) and spread that over the pork. Roll it up and truss or pin. Roast at 400F for 35 to 40 minutes.

Leftovers can be sliced thin for sandwiches with the stuffing peeled out as a side. Anything leftover after that is shredded and mixed with jarred barbecue sauce (sshhh - don’t tell @bbqboy) for faux BBQ.

2 Likes

The JP idea sounds most fab! No worries, your faux BBQ secret is perfectly safe with me, as I do similar. Good BBQ sauce is key IMO @Auspicious.

1 Like

@shrinkrap, we had our very first SV experience with a good chunk of pork loin, and it turned out extremely well. We probably won’t SV again, as H isn’t a fan of the fiddly nature of it, and I’ve not been much inclined to use the method. Can definitely see the many applications for it though.

A unit was practically foisted upon us to try, along with a book. It was a b-day gift to a friend of ours, who wasn’t keen on it either. After using for the loin, I suggested we get the sucker boxed up and returned to our friends, soonest. H heartily agreed! Just not for us. Will post my favorite tenderloin recipe ever (I swear) on this thread very soon.

1 Like

Thank you! That’s for loin, not tenderloin, right? That does sound good, and I do like the idea of butter flying them "like Jacque " , and I will, but I like to bust out the old sous vide from time to time, and I like the idea of being able to cook my husband and my parts of tenderloin at different temps.

This is actually a pork loin thread, which I don’t actually buy much, but I didn’t find a tenderloin thread. Tenderloin recipes are always nice to have in my "back pocket ". I find them pretty acceptable to all in my home, which is no small feat.