Poorly Designed Kitchen Items

Bar item, but still… Bought a set of dice-sized soapstone cubes that you wet and freeze then put in a drink (ie-scotch rocks). The idea is that they’re supposed to get the drink cold but won’t dilute it the way ice would. But… they don’t really do that. They’ll KEEP something relatively cold if it starts out cold, but they drop the temp of room-temp alcohol only minimally.

1 Like

At least you know they are hot all the time. I have one Cuisinart stock pot, that over time, one of the handle became hot while one stayed cold.

:smiley: That really made me laughed.

1 Like

These are cruel, cynical jokes propagated by dentists, denturists and maxillofacial surgeons.

1 Like

One grates it on a Microplane grater and leaves the garlic press at the store :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t find them hot, I find them awkward. The balance is off on the pans.

Guilty- I have a lot of useless crap, but I’m not afraid to admit that I love my garlic press, use it a lot, and if it disappeared, I’d go out and get a new one. I clean it with a toothpick or skewer. I also pay no attention to the green shoot and use it just like the rest of the clove

3 Likes

I have that type also - way easier.

Midlife, I’ve always wondered about that. Makes sense. Thanks

LOL, count me in on using a garlic press. Not finding the self cleaning ones I bought a zillion years ago at Broadway Panhandler, it finally appeared as a “vintage” model. Like me.

We have one in town, one in the country and our son has at least one.

1 Like

I use mine for… very fine garlic, i.e., for dressings and quick marinades; times when I don’t want garlic under my nails, i.e, pre-concert dinner; pressing chopped ginger for juice – i.e., when I don’t want to pick out bits of ginger before cooking; pressing chopped onions to juice for marinades or smooth sauces; maybe juicing the occasional kalamansi.
Seems easy enough to clean w/ the dish brush.

I use my microplane for that. Gave up on the press ages ago

2 Likes

I used the microplane on almost all my garlic and ginger, even when the recipe calls for a different cut. Unless there’s a good reason it needs to be slivers or a fine mince, that stuff is getting microplaned into mush.

2 Likes

Does this remind anyone else of Pauli slicing garlic in GOODFELLAS?

i think of that scene every time i use this:

This is my garlic slicer. And onions. And ginger. Pretty much everything.

2 Likes

You can do the same with a sharp chef’s knife. grin

2 Likes

maybe… but the garlic slicer produces slices thin enough to read a paper through in a flash while eliminating the possibility of slicing your fingertips off in the process. plus, it’s a snap to clean.

3 Likes

We use an old toothbrush to clean our Zyliss garlic press.

3 Likes

I have the same kind Auspicious has. Works well.

1 Like