Poorly Designed Kitchen Items

This is my “one percenter” can opener, the WMF Profi Plus Stainless Steel Safety Can Opener.

1 Like

How is it better than the Swing-A-Way which I’ve used always.

2 Likes

The WMF doesn’t cut down into the lid from the top, but cuts it off from the side. You place it flat against the top of the can, squeeze, turn the handle, and then lift off the lid using the little gripper teeth you can see at the lower edge in the first picture above. The lid gripper opens and closes like a pair of tiny pliers.

The lid doesn’t have any sharp edges on it, and since it includes the seam of the can around its circumference, it can’t get pushed down into the contents. (I HATE it when a can opener forces the lid down inside the can, making a big mess and forcing you to try to pry the sharp lid out if the can with your fingernail.) Some people even say that they use the lid as a replaceable cover for the can – I find this idea kind of gross, though.

Also, since it cuts from the outside of the can, the cutting wheel never gets dirty from the contents of the can oozing up onto it.

Finally, unlike the Swing-A-Way can openers I’ve used in the past, it is truly rust free – even if you don’t dry it off carefully before letting it sit around for weeks at a time.

This picture might might give you a clearer idea of how it works:

5 Likes

Oh yeah, I’ve read about those. Thanks for elaborating.

1 Like

Hi, catholiver and Tanuki:

This is a great example of the grey area just beneath the 1%.

I was raised on Swing-Aways, and my mom laid in several spares as a SCOR (Stratyegic Can Opener Reserve)before she passed. I’ve never considered anything about them lacking, but I do like the idea of the side-cut action. WMF sure gets the finish award, too.

At one point, I also invested in a $$ heavy “designer” model like shown for my beach house, but it’s actually very hard to use, especially hard to turn.

I recently got one of these larger Swing-Aways at a resto supply store:

The longer crank and handles make leverage a breeze, and I greatly prefer cranking over wrist turning. So I’d probably stick with that style if I wear out the several S-As I already have.

Aloha,
Kaleo

2 Likes

Ooh, I like that larger SA! I don’t have terribly strong hands so that’s appealing. And I SO love going in resto supply stores :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Woo…now you’re going to make me go google the nearest resto supply store. Darnit.

I really, really like the crank (although I still adore my old-school Swingaway and pick them up when I find them at garage/estate sales)

I broke my last garlic press something like 25 years ago – and have never had a good reason to go buy a new one. I cut them in half, remove the green shoot, then either smack them with the side of my chef’s knife or a bench knife, or grate it on my microplane. Just grated a tablespoon yesterday for bruschetta.

As for cleaning fine-mesh things, I find that turning the item upside down and passing it under the spray head of my kitchen faucet clears it all out quickly and easily – a dabbing motion with a vegetable brush gets rid of any recalcitrant pieces.

A agree about the garlic presses – that’s why the smash and mince is usually what I do.

I also agree about the cheese grater… where is my 1% solution? For large volumes, I resort to a food processor, but it’s a PITA to clean (as cheese sticks.

I have a box grater for larger amounts.

After making candy all day, I’ve decided every wooden spoon I have sucks…it’s all the tiny handles that cramp your hands up after the first 30 minutes of stirring molten sugar. Also noticed that my candy thermometer has lost all of its numbed after a few years of scrubbing off said molten sugar. If I had to cook anything between 150-280 I would be lost. At least I can still see the 280-320 degree marks. Argh.

1 Like

I hate the old pointy tipped can openers - the ones that puncture the can. I suppose what irks me most is just the concept of those in general and the need to push in metal (potential shards, sharp edges and grit INTO my food), but I’ve seen also insanely poorly designed ones where the tips is not angled properly so you never get enough leverage to actually puncture the top of a can. My mom has one of those and every time she buys a can of condensed and needs my help to open it, it’s so much aggravation. :rage:

1 Like

there is. hold your cheese flat against your fingertips when you get near the end.

1 Like

yes I do that, it’s kinda messy.

Some cheeses end up in a big grated lump inside the grater also.

Using Pam (vegetable oil spray) on the outside and inside of the grater before using it will
help with that problem.

1 Like

I have the same one. It’s excellent & especially nice for #10 cans.

All Clad handles. I guess they want to force the home user to look pro and use a towel all the time.

They need to call OXO for advice.

3 Likes

I agree. I have some of the TK All Clad line though and I really like the feel of the handle as well as the heat resistance.

http://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-Textiles-100-Percent-Checked-Kitchen/dp/B00UABQJC2

All Clad self promoting its towels

That was a good one Chem!

I bet the towels are uncomfortable too…hahaha.

All Clad saute pan handles!!! So awkward!