POLL: Anchovy Pizza - Yea or Nay?

Yes, although I rarely order or make it that way because no one else I know eats anchovies on pizza. WAH!!!

2 Likes

But apparently the majority of HO’s do!

2 Likes

Oh! That makes a lot more sense than putting dried fish on top of canned fish. As does almost anything.

Yes, and they complain putting anchovies on half makes the whole pizza “stink”. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes, anchovies all the way. But not too many.

1 Like

same here. the BF would plotz if i ordered pizza with anchovies. or anything with anchovies. i sneak them into things.

2 Likes

YES, PLEASE!

ETA - why does this not let me post my two-word answer to a question that asked for a yay or nay?

3 Likes

Jop. Intake of breath.

That’s Swedish for yes.

Swedes like all stinky fish stuff.

You should try these on a pizza:

We are a very special breed!

3 Likes

3 Likes

But no lutefisk:

Lol, no lutefisk! I’ve only had pickled herring of various types, and the one with sour cream I practically grew up on. I don’t think I’ve had smoked herring.

Anchovies is a MUST in my household when I cook shrimp , tomato and Feta.
i often add it to my cataplana dish also.
It is one of my favorite pizza topping when I first arrived in this country 1964, Peter Connell’s Italian Inn, famous for their Pizza with anchovy topping. They brought in a special chef every weekend for their pizza. After our CPC , pizza would be ordered for lunch as a treat instead of cafeteria food!
Hmmm Memories. The restaurant still exists but change ownership.

1 Like
4 Likes

need to make this again…

1 Like

Then we have Swedish anchovies which are nothing like Mediterranean anchovies:

Swedish ansjovis are not the same species as Mediterranean anchovies (Engraulis encrasicolus) they are actually sprats (Clupeidae sprattus)

They are cured in a special brine containing

Kryddblandning
2 tsk Ingefära, torkad
3,5 msk Kanel, malen
1 tsk Kardemumma
13 krm Kryddnejlikor, malen
2 tsk Muskotnöt, malen
1,5 msk Oregano
2 msk Sandelträ (köp här: Sandelträ)
4 tsk Svartpeppar, nymald
3 tsk Vitpeppar, nymald

Ginger, Cinnamon, Green Cardamom, Cloves, Nutmeg, Oregano, Sandalwood (!), and black and white pepper.

Swedish ansjovis are eaten on their own, but are also the essential ingredient in Jannsons Frestelse (Temptation) a dish made with potatoes, heavy cream, onions and … ansjovis.

2 Likes

So this thread got me to thinking about fish and cheese, which usually are big no-nos together in the Italian kitchen.

I got out my trusty Silver Spoon (the bible of Italian cooking) and bingo, Italian anchovy pizza in it’s most proper iteration does not have cheese.

In Naples it is flat and has tomatoes, EVO, fresh oregano and capers. The style is called alla Romana, or Roman style pizza.

In Rome it is square, baked in a big pan, and cut with scissors (like most Roman pizzas), features the same ingredients, and is called alla Napoli, or in the style of Naples.

This of course all came rushing back with a thud. I’ve had this in Italy, at least the Roman version. It’s more like a Pizza Marinara with anchovies and capers added.

So here is the question, if the anchovy pizza came without cheese, would you still eat it?

2 Likes

I’d prefer it.

1 Like

Wouldn’t prefer it.

WOULD eat it.