Plant milks / juice, do you like them?

I have used almond milk and cashew milk in mashed potatoes. It comes out ok but I prefer milk or cream. Results are better with the cashew than the almond since the cashew is creamier and has a white color. Commercial shelf stable almond has a brown color which results in grayish mash. Both have a slight sweet flavor I do not care for in savory dishes, especially the almond. We make our own cashew, so I don’t know how the commercial stuff is. I assume my impression would be the same for bechamel. I might try cashew milk if it was all I had on hand depending on what the bechamel was being used for. If being used as a base for stronger flavors, it would probably work fine. If I were vegan, I imagine I would find it to be a good substitute as the tradeoff would be worth it.

Using it in a clafoutis as Sunshine mentions sounds good. I’m going to try that.

1 Like

Works fine for baking. I’m making (and have made) a vegan coffee cake with almond milk.

If your batter seems a bit thin, add some corn starch or an extra egg yolk to bind the almond milk.

I haven’t cooked with Nextmilk yet but it’s creamy, white, and neutral flavored so could be good

1 Like

I drink 6 - 8 ounces of unsweetened plant milk every morning with coffee for a quick breakfast. I am not vegan, vegetarian, or lactose intolerant and do it for the taste, health benefits and for the convenience of being able to store it for months on the shelf before opening.

Types tried - walnut, cashew, macadamia, sesame seed, soy, flax seed, hemp, oat, barley, chia seed, almond, pea protein, soy, coconut

Favorites - walnut (hard to find), macadamia, sesame seed.

Least Favorite - hemp, for some reason it gives me a headache and haven’t used soy in a while due to having these other options.

Price - usually heavily discounted at a local outlet for 99 cents to $1.99 for 32, 48 or 64 oz.

Vegan Cheese - The Miyoko’s plant-based cheese made with cashew milk is very likable for a change of pace even though I’m a fan of full-fat dairy quality cheese.

3 Likes

That sounds helpful!

1 Like

I wonder if it is just you, or this is expected.

I have switched mainly to plant milk because I do have mild lactose intolerance. It’s very infrequent, and I still have milk, primarily for cooking, coffee, yogurt, or ice cream (natch), but I don’t drink milk alone or eat cereal with it.

I drink soy milk because that’s just what Chinese people do. :laughing: I don’t liked it as a dairy milk substitute (and vanilla flavored any milk substitute = wtf to me), and much prefer it hot and fresh. Making it is easy and 1000% better.

I like extra creamy oat milk, and almond milk as dairy milk substitute, but not in coffee. Coconut and cashew milk is a hard pass. Rice milk is an alternative beverage for me (Korean drink, horchata, etc) but is too watery for cereal. So maybe I’m a bit more particular, but I don’t think anyone has to be firmly in one camp or the other.

3 Likes

I randomly found this. I didn’t even know such is a thing.

I was going to say it sounds gross, but I guess banana and cinnamon is a thing! A common favor combination in many foods. Who’d a thunk it? The bottle is adorable though. Is it intended for kids or babies?

How is it? Love to hear your take.

No, I have not even bought it. I only bought the Barley milk. The banana milk is just something I google. Maybe I should see if I can buy one. It should be pretty interesting.

How’d you like the barley milk? I love malted barley. Malta Goya. Barley has its own flavor.

Yeah. I like it. I don’t think I hate a lot of drink though.

No, I’ll try any oat , soy, whatever juice. Almond seems an off choice because of the water it takes to grow those. I hope they’ll all be available in the future. I love oats, and the east has shown how soy products have dairy equivalents. I mean tofu is just soy “cheese”, no?

I have never seen them before, but just spotted them and bought three flavors. I will update after tasting them.

1 Like

They are so very late to the game that it smacks largely of a board meeting some time ago deriding vegans and vegetarians and sneering that it will never be a thing…and then now eating crow because its a thing.

Doesnt affect me at all as I drink my coffee black…

I like oat milk better than nonfat milk but not as well as whole milk. For much cooking only heavy cream works. The one place where oat milk is fine for cooking is things like waffles and pancakes.

1 Like

I think there are different ways to look at these plant milk or plant drink. They can be viewed as substitutes of dairy milk or they can be viewed as separate drinks on their own. For example, I tried Mooala banana chocolate and banana strawberry drinks yesterday. I like them. The banana fragrance come off right away. Banana also provides the thickness and viscous consistency. I like them. However, they actually remind me of a fruity smoothie (which they are) more than dairy milk.

2 Likes