Plant milks / juice, do you like them?

You cannot grind soy milk with a person. It will ruin the taste. You need a donkey.

3 Likes

Okā€¦ someone decided to use a Husky.

2 Likes

I know some people who would fit both of those categories ā€¦

Definitely, especially in Thai. Itā€™s used there very often.

Iā€™ve only ever tried oat milk, as I have no personal use for or interest in milk substitutions. I had it in coffee, and it was surprisingly inoffensive.

Not as good as half n half, tho :smiley:

Iā€™d pay more for that.

Pay more for Husky ground soy milk? It will give you the power of a Husky.

1 Like

Iā€™m finding I have an issue with milk products so I tried almond milk (vanilla flavored for some sweetness). Found it like light brown water.
Meh. Tried TJā€™s original refrigerated almond milk (vanilla) but I only use it in morning cereal so a quart is way too much and got far past ā€˜use byā€™ (some mold developed around the spout). Taste was good so I switched to the TJs shelf stable vanilla almond milk which is just as good but in a smaller size. Happy camper for now.

If I ground it with a whole person, it definitely wouldnā€™t be vegetarian anymore.

3 Likes

Two of my daughters really like the Silk brand ā€œextra creamyā€ oat milk. In a pinch, they make their own oat milk with a blender.

One is trying to avoid dairy and the other has from a young age (maybe 8 or 9) not liked cowā€™s milk.

Iā€™ve never found soy milk, almond milk, cashew milk, et cetera ad nauseam milk, to be really very close to cowā€™s milk, but they had me try their creamy oat milk and I found it to be okay.

But then, Iā€™m not really a cowā€™s milk drinker anymore, anyway (bit of a lactose problem). But our son drinks coffee daily and for me, the few times I drink coffee or hot tea, I really like cream in it, too. None of the ā€œplant milksā€ seem to fit the bill for that - heavy cream (cowā€™s) is the stuff.

Hereā€™s a good rundown of all the different types of non-dairy ā€œmilksā€

1 Like

Interesting!

Anyone know how they compare in various cooking applications? Say baking, frozen treats or cooked sauces?

Delete

I have not done a side-by-side comparison of all the various milks in baking recipes but I have used almond milk and soy milk in cakes and a couple of other desserts (e.g. kheer).
They come out really good. No one can tell they were not made with cowjuice.

3 Likes

Most of the time itā€™s a non-issue, as milk is usually there for the liquid more than anything.

Iā€™ve even made clafoutis with plant milkā€¦iirc I added an extra egg and it set up beautifully. I made mornay with plant milk (and vegan cheese!) When I made baby hot browns for a Kentucky Derby party. Even the jokes about nipples in almonds were silenced because theyā€™d emptied the dish and not guessed it wasnā€™t full dairy.

For cream based dishes, coconut cream or cashew cream can make dishes that fool even a hard core foodie.

3 Likes

I donā€™t like the plant juices I have tried but I do use it when a make a coffee cake for our community garden parties because some gardeners there are vegan. Same reason for butter substitute though I find that much easier to eat than plant juice.

2 Likes

Gordon Ramsay is that you?

1 Like

+1 Since I donā€™t suffer from lactose intolerance, I like to indulge in the real deal. Still, itā€™s good to have options. I love dairy.

Bechamel? Yep. Have made it with cashew and almond milks.

Mashed potatoes? Yep. Made them with almond, cashew, soy, and oat.

Pancakes? Have made them with all kinds of plant milks.

Baking? almost never a big dealā€¦I made clafoutis with Almond milk. I make pumpkin pie every year with coconut milk (no it doesnā€™t taste like coconut) I have even made ice cream with plant milk.

5 Likes