Pizza-Pizza-Pizza!!! Monmouth County NJ

With -0- knowledge of the place you are speaking about the only reasonable answer I could come up with is if they used a conveyor belt oven similar to Dominos. That would make it impossible to re-heat a slice without completely burning it.

Other than that my only other answer would be {{shrugs}}…

1 Like

Fascinating, when I got my slices the other day I watched them go into the pizza oven right there behind the counter and waited the proper duration. That said, I do like a very crispy pizza… Almost cracker like… Or… Growing up in Virginia there was one place that did pizza with a thin flaky tart like crust. Amazing. The layers in the crust reminded me of Phyllo dough…

2 Likes

Way late, but I snagged a bday pie at Porta in October, and was thoroughly impressed. It wasn’t the typical slice for which I have childhood nostalgia (We always ordered from Joseph’s in Jackson, which is now Luisa’s and pretty darn good for what it is.) but I wolfed the entire thing as fast as I physically could.

2 Likes

Late night post-shift meal. Half (dreaded) Hawaiian, half (bacon/meatball). Atillio’s W Long Branch just before closing. Hit the spot. Enjoyed the savory crust.

6 Likes

Damn that’s a lot of ham! Haven’t been to Atilios in a while but I used to really like their dinner menu.

Porta is consistently one of the best Neapolitan-style pizzas in NJ, imo! Here in AP we also have Talula’s and Medusa, both just as good–but Porta has been a favorite of mine since they opened. Glad you enjoyed it!

Sounds like your nostalgia is for what I call a Jersey Slice…we’ve got lots of those as well, but I lean towards the overpriced Neapolitan style. :slight_smile: When done right, I think it’s a work of art!

4 Likes

That’s exactly what the nostalgia is- I’m ordering a pie to bring back to FL for my sister as one of her Christmas presents. Talula is next on my list!

1 Like

My favorite at Talula’s is the Beekeepers’ Lament… Hot sopressata + honey! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Ahh, I’ll have to tell my buddy about that one- he would flip. I’m a vegetarian haha but the menu looks great across the board!

1 Like

We tried Esposito’s today. The crust is comparable to Denino’s but the ingredients are such that the toppings slide right off. I don’t know if it’s the oil content in the cheese, or the liquid in the tomatoes, or what, but it makes eating it incredibly messy.

As for their move to their new location, they are waiting on permits and such. The waitress said that they have completely remodeled the inside of Peter’s/Pride, so I am curious to see what it looks like.

2 Likes

Which pizza did you try? I’m biased to the sesame crust and have tried several times to recreate it at home (huge mess). Not a fan of their regular pies.

Large pepperoni and mushroom. I don’t know if it was sesame crust or not.

Any NJ restaurants serving stuffed two crust pizzas?

What I actually meant was pizza rustica.

You mean the Easter pie? ( Not pizza)

Yes

I see it in Italian delis all the time. Don’t recall seeing it in restaurants.

We’re talking about this, yes?pizzarustica14-480x360

3 Likes

Yes. Which deli?

Are you Monmouth? Taliercio’s definitely and Livotis I believe. Probably Aleo in Lincroft.

It’s not Grandma’s, but Talercios will do in a pinch.

3 Likes

Yes I’m in monmouth. Thanks for the recs.

2 Likes