Pizza-Pizza-Pizza!!! Monmouth County NJ

I wish atl would let a few food trucks open. They have the space. It amazes me they dont want more taxes and traffic in town. I could be missing something though.

1 Like

I was in Atlantic Highlands yesterday (eating ice cream for lunch at Nicholas creamery… YUM) and saw Julio’s just a few doors down from UPN. They appeared to be open yesterday (there had been a classic car show happening in town) but we were too full from ice cream to try it. I did manage to put an eyeball up next to the paper doors at UPN and there’s still a lot of work to be done in there-in fact, that someone was in there doing some tile work (I think) from what I could see.

Friends took us to Del Ponte’s last night. The salads were big enough for two and delicious. One of us had spaghetti and meatballs. It came out first and smelled wonderful. He cleaned his plate. Two of us had personal pizzas and both brought home leftovers. I was happy that they made my broccoli rabe/sausage calzone with whole wheat dough. It was fabulous. Even better today for lunch.

1 Like

Been to Julio’s twice. There pizza is a tad doughy in the crust department for my taste (i am a thin and crispy fan) but quite tasty. Good red sauce. Owners are very friendly, I was there the first time after a Fire Dept activity so I was in uniform and they immediately indicated that wanted to work with us as a community service. Prices are reasonable. Was packed during Car Show and again next time I was in. I think they are a great addition to town.

Are you on the AH fire squad? I know a few people on there via the Historical Society.

Yes… and AH First Aid… and Leonardo First Aid… And Middletown Fire Dept Field Communications Unit… gotta have stuff to do while I am not eating… lol

3 Likes

You must know Lou F. then! And Roy D. Great guys. You should stop by the museum some time.

I know Lou and the family very well, he is on the FD with me. And Roy’s son used to be on the First Aid squad with me

1 Like

Small world!

Greg (or anyone else), do you have a favorite pizza place(s) in the Hazlet area? Traditional slice joints, not bar pies or coal oven stuff.

I tried Keyport pizza and thought it was super meh. Got a couple grandma pies from Salerno’s, first time it was fantastic, second time was so sweet I almost couldn’t eat it.

1 Like

Salerno’s is VERY hit or miss. I stopped ordering from them a year ago.

Giuseppe’s was my go to when I lived 5 minutes away. Usually consistent. I’d still be a regular if I didn’t move a few miles down 35.

Right now, I’m looking for a place that shines. So much average pizza around here. Romeo’s is a town favorite. You might want to give them a try.

I’ll give 'em a shot and report back!

Speaking of consistency, I’ve found that’s really the biggest problem with a majority of local pizza places.

1 Like

Romeos on 36 in the foodtown shopping center? They have decent slices and a half decent cheesesteak. In fact, it is one of the better ones around but I haven’t had it in a while so I can’t guarantee it is the same.

Villa pizza makes consistantly good plain slices (it is in the kohls shopping center across from dear born.)

1 Like

The Hazlet Romeo’s on Middle Road by Kohl’s (residential area). Been there forever.

Oh and there’s the Villa Pizza right next to Kohl’s that does great dinners but not a fan of their pizza.

Just tried Julio’s today for the first time. All I can say is, given that I work in Atlantic Highlands and am a semi-public figure, I am going to have to word this review very carefully.

Just saw your IG post… do you HAVE to review it, or could you wait for the OTHER place to open and just give it a passing MEH in there?

Here’s what will happen, because I know the Facebook audience/mob that sometimes gets a hold of my reviews. If I pass this place up and choose to give publicity only to a place serving $25 personal pies, I’ll be seen as uppety/hoity-toity/catering to the wealth of the area. I know for a fact that people will read the Julio’s review, become enraged, and say something along the lines of “Go eat your fancy pizza!” (such as my review of Katz’s Grill where I was met with “Go back to fucking Starbucks” and actually received threats on my life). This would be made worse by critiquing one restaurant in a review of the other, especially if I enjoy the other more.

That being said, who knows, maybe I won’t like the new Una Pizza Napoletana either. I toyed with the idea of not writing any review at all, bit then I stopped myself and said if this place was in Red Bank or Middletown or East Bumblefart, I wouldn’t think twice about writing a review.

Ah, the politics of blogging. I’ll just review everyone as fairly as I can and hope for the best.

3 Likes

And I’ll give a preview here: my slice was fine. It was not terrible. It was plain ol’ “fine”.

However, what I did not appreciate was our slices disappearing into the back and then emerging heated in, and I shit you not, roughly 30 seconds (or the time it took me to insert, pay with, and remove my credit card). Microwave? I have no other choice than to believe so. Maddening.

1 Like

Microwave vs. a potential convection oven (as in Dunkin Donuts) might be the answer. As we all know a microwave is the nemesis to anything crispy where the convection oven would not.

I hope it was a convection oven, but it was just not hot/crispy enough.

Either way, why not just heat it in the pizza oven like everyone else???

3 Likes