Pillivuyt or Emile Henry Bakeware

Most of my “fancy” bakeware is Pillivuyt/Apilco, as is my dinner and serve ware. I like that everything matches but other statement pieces can be added as desired.

1 Like

My everyday dishes are Villeroy & Boch. Bought in 1982. Still going strong. As is the pattern.

2 Likes

I have many of those small Corning Ware casseroles in a different pattern than yours. I have used them daily for over 40 years. Not for “company meals” but normal cooking for the two of us, storing food in the refrigerator, reheating in the oven or microwave. I’ve had to replace a few lids - I find them on eBay. Don’t know how we’d get along without them!

2 Likes

Care to share a pic? I am using Rosenthal daily, since 2007 I think.

Petite Fleur. Still in production.

Evidently a young Wolfgang Puck liked it. :joy:

3 Likes

Beautiful! And wow he was young back then! :joy:

1 Like

So we’re we all …

2 Likes

For everyday use, fridge or freezer to oven, easy wash up of baked on stuff, Corning is hard to beat. Early “cornflower” patterned is now collectable, while this all white is a workhorse. I have easily over a dozen pieces and they all serve a purpose in terms of size and shape. Boring, perhaps, but really serviceable.
I have bought all of mine at flea market or garage sale. It all still looks brand-new.

3 Likes

Seems like Pillivuyt was the original and Albert Pillivuyt branched off to make his own company names Apilco.

Seems they’re pretty interchangeable in quality, price, and value. I’m considering investing in one or the other for our household plates and such. Any opinions as to which to buy over the other?

I have Williams Sonoma Brasserie, and I have some Apilco blue banded that is very similar. I would choose the one of which I preferred the look. If you want all white, it all comes down to preferred shape and best deal. There is no bad choice

1 Like

You are right in that the two companies are related. They are very interchangeable. I used to work at Williams Sonoma and we often created place settings that mixed and matched across patterns and brands. I happen to have Pillivuyt - the Coupe line - as my primary dinnerware but have some Apilco Zen, Tuileries, and Reglisse thrown into the mix.

2 Likes

Totally agree. I think the Brasserie is a little bit heavier, both in heft and the bands, then the similar Aplico pieces.

It is, but the Apilco seems quite solid, despite looking more refined.

It’s absolutely solid - I’ve rarely seen a broken, or even chipped, piece. Every piece is oven-safe. The brasserie is just a bit more rustic looking and feeling in my opinion.

1 Like

I have a lot of Pillivuyt and EH. The EH is fine for serving and baking, but the strength over other ceramic is the freezer/fridge to oven potential. I also use — gasp – ECI bakers and gratins as well for table to oven. The CI retains heat. My Pillivuty ranges from large platters to dinnerware to tartes/casseroles/bakers. It is all great – I’ve not had issues with staining or chipping with the EH. I also have some Apilco and some unidentified Limoges Sometimes I like the more delicate look of the white porcelain better, tbh, but other times I like the colors. I was fortunate that I’ve acquired most of it from WS/outlets or Home Goods. A few years back HG was filled with Pillivuyt and EH pieces, with nothing really over $20, with prices starting at $3. I

Williams Sonoma Outlet has a selection of Pillivuyt platters and place settings – an occasionally a baker, Occasionally some Apilco.

4 Likes

All I can attest to is that I’ve had my porcelain dinnerware (Violeroy & Boch) for 40 years, and it’s been incredibly durable. Aside from a couple of pieces that got dropped on a stone floor and broke, absolutely nothing has chipped in all these years, and it was washed in the dishwasher countless times. I’d gladly opt for brasserie, but mercifully there is no more room in my universe for me to indulge in any more kitchen pr tabletop objects. Or any objects whatsoever… But thumbs up on porcelain. That refined look coupled with strength and utility is its best attribute.

3 Likes

I love WS Brasserie. I had a few pieces of the green-banded many years back. One of my favorites from back then was one of those soup bowl sized latte cups (clearly this was back in the 90s!)
I now have the white dinnerware, service for 4. The cereal bowl is probably the most perfect bowl I have ever owned.

As for porcelain/ceramic bakeware, I’ve been quite happy with Le Creuset stoneware, and often contemplate the EH when I see it on sale.

1 Like

I would go with the Pillivuyt as it is porcelain. Have you considered Sweese porcelain instead?- it is a fraction of the cost of Pillivuyt and is available in black, white, and a limited color palette of about 5 other colors. I have some Sweese and really like it for everyday use. It is also available on amazon.

1 Like