Pillivuyt or Emile Henry Bakeware

About 5 years ago I upgraded most of my cookware after doing tons of research reading old Chowhound posts (I really wish I could still search those old posts!). I ended up with mostly Demeyere 5-Plus. Now I’m looking to upgrade my casserole dishes. I have all Pyrex which there’s nothing wrong with from a performance standpoint, but I just want something nicer looking to go from the oven to table.

I’m leaning towards Emile Henry or Pillivuyt because I like that they’re made in France (not China). They each have a very different style but aside from looks, is there a functional difference between glazed ceramic (Emile Henry) and porcelain (Pillivuyt)?

Not that you’d ever do it, but the Burgundian clay in EH is generally flameproof.

I’d pick the Pillivuyt, stictly or style. The EH looks too much like Fiestaware for my tastes.

I always thought that porcelain was stronger - more durable. Shape and function is an individual taste. However, I think that the “look” is probably more dispositive in choosing- if you’re going to use the dishes on the table.

1 Like

Glazed ceramic is more prone to chipping. Whereas Pillivuyt will not chip in normal use. I have Pillivuyt items that are being used daily - dishwasher and all - that look as pristine as a decade ago.

2 Likes

While this might be too low end for you, I have had a number of these Corningware casseroles for four decades and not a single chip/crack/scratch. They’re great in the oven, broiler, and on the stovetop. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

I have a couple of EH bakeware and find them prone to staining and crazing. I’d never buy. More.
While the many pieces of Pillivuyt, although bought second hand over several decades, all look brand new.

I am a huge fan of both Pillivuyt and Apilco. They are classic, lovely, and hard working. I like Emile Henry for limited things like pie plates and ramekins, but if Pillivuyt or Apilco ever ventured there, that would be my preference. To invoke one of those hackneyed automotive analogies, we are not talking Mercedes versus Cadillac but Bugatti versus Lamborghini. There are no bad choices.

4 Likes

I think most of my pieces are Apilco, simply because SLT is in the neighborhood. Had them for decades. Love them. I have some Emile Henry loaf pans… I don’t know what I got them for. Probably either banana bread or meatloaf.

1 Like

I have a couple of plain white corningware casseroles - with both glass lids and plastic ones (for storage and leakless transport). They came with insulated tote bags. Thumbs up!

Yeah, people used to ask me to Bring Stuff, in the Before Times… .

5 Likes

I don’t have a lot of either brand. I bought a pair of Apilco covered oval casseroles at an antique shop that I use a lot, and are very versatile.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen the EH in person but if it’s similar to Staub with a tan interior and nice glazing, I’m okay with the style. It’s hard to tell from online pictures though. If the interior is a bright white against the colored exterior, I agree I wouldn’t be a fan of the look. I kind of like the pop of color for weeknight dinners, although Pillivuyt is a more versatile style for holidays and other more formal occasions.

That’s a fair assessment. I hate trying to shop online - it always leaves me with analysis paralysis. I’m so much better at making a decision when I can walk into a store and the look or feel of one immediately jumps out at me.

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s good to know.

This is helpful, thank you!

Thank you.

I have more trouble with porcelain/tableware than I do with pots and pans. I really need to see tableware and glassware — and flatware, too — in person if I can.

I return to my comparison of EH to Fiestaware. There’s nothing wrong with either one, but colors in bake- and cookware aren’t for me.

1 Like

Curses! I found a Pillivuyt pie plate and cake stand for $90 and $125. My old Emile Henry and Portmeirion pie plates are looking better and better.

2 Likes

Everything is getting so expensive. I was in a lighting store yesterday, and was astounded by the prices for things like basic table lamps.

1 Like

Ah, inflation. Apparently it is survivable. I acquired a good bit of my stuff in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Of course, inflation came under control. Let us hope it will again!

1 Like