Piccalilli!

My husband bought me a jar of Fortnum & Mason Piccalilli for Christmas. It looks delicious. I’ve never had it, so besides using it as a relish on smoked sausages, what are your favorite ways of eating it? Thanks.

2 Likes

I’m actually not that keen on it. Dunno why - I usually like pickles and I love mustard but there’s just something about the flavour. I did make myself a batch one year, hoping that it would be more to my taste but it wasnt really.

Mrs Harters likes it more and eats it with a ham sandwich or salad. It can go quite well with cheese - say in a ploughman’s lunch (although I prefer pickled onions). It’s quite popular on bistro menus accompanying something like a pressed ham terrine. So, I’d suggest trying it anywhere that you might consider mustard and also want a bit of crunch.

Of course, it’s one of those foods that give the lie to the myth that British food is bland. Earliest reference, according to Wikipedia, is 1694. Very popular with the troops in both the Boer War and First World War as a way of spicing up trench rations.

1 Like

I have it with cheese or a ham sandwich as John @Harters has suggested. Though for a sandwich my favourite is with corned beef ( that is the tinned variety not what we in The UK call salt beef). I’m also very partial to it with a pork pie. It’s surprisingly nice on hummus on toast as I discovered when there wasn’t much in the fridge and I was peckish.

1 Like

Mrs H, peering over my shoulder, reminds me that so is she. Again, I prefer a pickled onion or three.

2 Likes