Philly Cheese Steaks

I’m saying it won’t be “correct” but will probably be delicious.

1 Like

The ones I have had (granted I’ve never been anywhere near Philly) are usually no thicker than 1/8 inch, with some being as thin as 1/16.

Gonna give it a try. Anybody know a great source for Amoroso rolls? So far all I see online are stupidly expensive and take a week or more to deliver.

was in Indiana . . . ordered a Philly Cheesesteak.
it was a grilled hamburger bun with a breakfast steak, melted slice of American cheese…

there’s no end to the variations - the sliced vs chopped thing is an age old two-competitor debate. frankly totally outmoded.

I was born in Philadelphia, grew up outside the city, did college at UofP.
eaten quite a few steak sandwiches and hoagies…

do it like you like it - there are no rules. Amoroso rolls are the defacto standard - tricky to get outside the area.

btw, ye’ olde’ standby ‘minute steaks’ do a very decent imitation. it’s all grease&onion anyway . . . well, I do like mushroom with mine. hold the whiz.

1 Like

That’s a roast beef sandwich, not a cheesesteak unless the definition has stretched beyond the
classic sandwich :sandwich:

2 Likes

Living in California, not sure I’ve ever had a classic version. Not a fan of handling raw beef, and this is so far the only incarnation of steak that I like. So if I can get anywhere near the target with deli beef I’d be a happy camper.

you won’t get there with sliced deli roast beef.
trust me. . . .

6 Likes

(In the immortal words of Steve Jobs)… “one more thing”. I think the traditional cheese for these is provolone, but IIRC my favorite place for these used a good American.

Use one, the other, or both… or something else I might be missing?

Did you check your Safeway for shaved beef steak? My Fred Meyer/Kroger has it. Small coastal town.

At the meat counter? Or somewhere else?

In the meat dept. it’s a prepackaged item.

How far into the mountains are you?
And where?
I’m in Southern Oregon.
Emglow is in Mt. Shasta.
Beefeater Rocks is over in Brookings.
We’re building a contingent :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

West slope of the Sierra Nevada.

3 Likes

My son and his wife lived somewhere outside Folsom when he worked for Intel.
They moved back here to manage the family (hers) peach ranch.

1 Like

One person’s ‘bad’ is another person’s sinful treat. I went to college in Philadelphia, so I have had my fair share of cheap cheesesteaks! They are delicious, and yes totally not good for you nor a fancy meal. I think it’s the cheap cheez wiz like sauce that actually makes the cheesesteak. I’ve had “fancier” versions with fancy cheese, and while they are nice, they just don’t hit the spot the same way a good, greasy cheesesteak does. I have to say that I’m not a big fan of Pat’s though, even though it’s (for some reason) iconic in Philadelphia.

2 Likes

Would not be surprised if you do need to pay an arm and a leg for those. Last year, I was feeling very nostalgic for portuguese muffins like I ate in college on the east coast. West coast now. Found the exact ones, but they are about $4 or less for 6 locally, and cost me $9 per pack to ship them over. I couldn’t find a local to me source.

What are the borders of your contingent? @lambchop and I are in western WA… @Babette too.

4 Likes

I’ve had this Rival folding slicer for many years and find that it’s rather easy to clean. It’s not as sturdy as the metal ones but I don’t need it very often so it’s fine for occasional use. I sliced hundreds of salamis on it when I made charcuterie boards for a job I had. Very reasonably priced too.

2 Likes

Whatever we say it is!
:cowboy_hat_face:
:wink:

2 Likes

I can’t/won’t argue with one word of your post! And I could add a slew of other quintessential foods that are revered but also outside what we (or some people) consider well cooked food. The foods and tastes of our histories. Thanks for this well deserved reckoning.