Philly Cheese Steaks

Seeded roll from Sarcone’s Bakery is a must!

2 Likes

I’m confused.
Where did “well cooked food” enter into the equation?
Can’t any dish or cuisine be well cooked?

Busted.

1 Like

For me the bread is going to be a problem. I’ll use sliced local rib eye for the meat. Upgrade the cheese . Thinking French dips or California cheesesteak sandwiches for Christmas. I’ll still be worn out from Thanksgiving. Let’s get it over with .I’ll be looking at holidays from now on is a basic Wednesday. Cheers :wine_glass:

2 Likes

Philly cheese steaks are one of those street. or restaurant foods that you can maybe replicate, but it’s time consuming. You’re not producing at scale. (Other such foods, IMO, are Pho, and also German Döner Kebab sandwiches).

I’ve tried numerous cheesesteaks in Philadelphia, and certainly found some bad as well as good. I think the bread is really important, not just the meat. I live in northern Indiana, and I don’t know where I could buy the perfect bread. If I had your mission. I’d look into replicating the breads used by Philly’s best places.

As to meat, I’d buy some ribeye, freeze it for 30 minutes, and then slice it thin, as some others here recommend. For just one or two sandwiches, I’d go to a cast iron or carbon-steel pan, so you can chop and mix things vigorously in the pan (not advisable with non-stick pans).

Also, get a good Provolone-- BelGioioso or Boar’s Head, maybe? But then there’s also the cheese-whiz crowd, too!

Good luck!

3 Likes

German Döner Kebab sandwiches - you’re killing me. We lived in the Netherlands and had the best Kip Doner kebabs at a Halal eatery in Leidschendam. Tastiest eats in a country with lousy cuisine…

2 Likes

For me, the problem with the real thing was the grey meat. Like Arby’s. At home, you can use a cast iron pan or grill plate to flash grill the meat, arriving at a modicum of sear and pink. Onions and cheese are easy. Bread is a personal matter.; just choose what you prefer.

1 Like

Seeded rolls are preferred in Philly usually from Liscio’s or Sarcone’s. I am Team Sarcone’s. Whether it’s a cheesesteak, hoagie, meatball, chicken cutlet, or roast pork. It’s vital imo just like you can’t have good sushi without good rice, and a good taco without a good handmade tortilla. It’s probably why Langers is better than Katz lol! I honestly don’t know if these Italian bakery’s in Philly deliver.

I really like Angelo’s Pizzeria (next door to Sarcone’s in fact the owner married a Sarcone!) cheesesteak. It’s on a baked in house seeded roll with cooper sharp and fried onions. I’ve only had Dalessandro’s before Angelo’s. IMO Angelo’s can be a east coast classic like Katz, Frank Pepe’s, etc. They do everything really good!

My to do list right now is John’s Roast Pork, Gooey Looie, Woodrow’s, and Ishakibble.

1 Like

For those of you recommending ribeye… isn’t that a pretty expensive cut of steak for what is pretty much a garbage (medium to well cooked strips) steak filling full of onions, peppers and mushrooms?

Granted I am not a steak guy, other than using chuck and sirloin to grind my burgers/chili meat. So if I don’t want to spend ~$20/pound for this what should I use?

Just sayin’… the best cheese steak I’ve ever had was 10 bucks… on an amoroso roll with a third pound or more of meat. There is no way they used a ribeye for that.

a reasonably well trimmed chunk of chunk will do just fine.

2 Likes

Guessing you meant “chunk of chuck”.

heehee - yup - chunk of chuck…

1 Like

Just make sure to cut any “steak” across the grain. Go for flavor rather than tenderness.

2 Likes

So my feeling this is garbage steak… given the doneness it is cooked to, and the onions (and in my case green peppers and mushrooms) it is cooked with

But do any of you cook the steak first… ‘till charred but still a bit internally pink, let it rest while starting the veggies, and then add it back?

As I mentioned previously I am not a steak guy… but I often see the recommendation to let steak “rest”. Is this maybe a worthwhile procedure in this case, or simply a non-issue?

While I’ve yet to try this, it seems the mushrooms (and possibly the onions- depending on how caramelized you want them) needs more time than the steak. What are your timing methods?

1 Like

doing the peppers and onions separately is the usual approach for steak sandwiches and (brat / et al) wursts.

you’re absolutely correct - onions for example take a lot longer to cook nicely than the thin slices of steaks.

If you are close to an asian market, you can usually find thin sliced ribeye which is used for sukiyaki / hotpot but perfect for cheesesteaks. Korean / Japanese / Chinese markets will do. Often found in the freezer bins near the meat department. Good luck!

The right question is where do you get the right type of bread to make the perfect cheesesteak :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m gonna try to find the woman who ran knuckle dragger to see where she got the Amaroso rolls. I know she still works locally in some other restaurants.

1 Like

:+1: Amaroso for sure. Just found a place in my nabe that does cheesesteaks with their rolls and it makes all the difference.

2 Likes

This thread on cheese steaks reminded me of an article that I had read aeons ago.

R. W. Apple on eating in Philadelphia

You may find it interesting.

3 Likes

We have a little shop in my town that uses the correct Amoroso bread and meat and was deemed a good Philly cheese steak by a picky employee from Philly