[Penang] Sri Lankan lunch at Kandy, Little India

Lunch today at one of George Townโ€™s newest eateries: ๐—ž๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ๐˜† ๐—ฆ๐—ฟ๐—ถ ๐—Ÿ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ธ๐—ฎ๐—ป ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€๐˜๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐˜ in Little India. Owned by Sri Lankan expat and long-time Penang resident, Sam Pereira, and his wife, Gipsy, they sought to offer authentic Sri Lankan options in a largely Tamil-dominated Little India dining scene here in George Town.

We perused the menu and opted for these for a quick lunch:

1. ๐˜’๐˜ถ๐˜ฌ๐˜ถ๐˜ญ ๐˜”๐˜ข๐˜ด ๐˜”๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ถ๐˜ธ๐˜ข (Sri Lankan chicken curry) - Iโ€™d always found Sri Lankan curries to be among the hottest in the world, surpassing even the Chettinad cooking of neighbouring Tamil Nadu, India.
    But the cooking here has toned down its chili heat considerably to cater for the Penang/Malaysian palate.

2. ๐˜’๐˜ข๐˜ซ๐˜ถ ๐˜”๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ถ๐˜ธ๐˜ข (Sri Lankan cashewnut white curry)

3. ๐˜ˆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฏ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ช ๐˜’๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜บ๐˜ข (Sinhalese pineapple curry) - one thing I found unique about Sri Lankan curries is that cut pandan leaves are added during the cooking process, and were never removed before serving. So, one needs to spit those out if inadvertently eaten, as pandan leaves are very fibrous and should never be swallowed.
    Pandan leaves are also more โ€œSouth-east Asianโ€, rather than South Asian, when it comes to culinary uses.

4. ๐˜—๐˜ฐ๐˜ญ ๐˜™๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ช (Sri Lankan coconut flatbread)

We actually came here for ๐˜“๐˜ข๐˜ฎ๐˜ฑ๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜ช๐˜ด, a classic Sri Lankan dish of rice with various curried meats and vegetables, all wrapped up in banana leaf and baked, but was told that the dish required advance order.

But what we got also made for quite a satisfactory lunch.

Address
Kandy Sri Lankan & Western Cuisine
119 Lebuh Penang (Penang Street, Little India), 10200 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +604-526 9192
Operating hours:12.30pm to 11pm daily

14 Likes

Iโ€™ve always been curious about cashew curry. How did you enjoy everything?

1 Like

Wow! I was just reading about this dish on the Vittles substack and thinking about trying to make it, too. Now I feel like I kind of have toโ€ฆ

1 Like

Absolutely delicious - Sri Lankan curries tend to be more subtly spiced, compared to the aggressive Tamil ones with their assertive flavours.

The cashew curry had amazing textures - we polished off every single kernel in the bowl.

1 Like

Do share with us the result of your cooking if you do!

1 Like

Any idea how long they are soaking the cashews before making the curry? I have seen directions ranging from up to two hours and others that suggest โ€œ8 hours or overnightโ€. I am guessing that this is because everyoneโ€™s grandmother approached this recipe in their own way!

@Amandarama If you have raw cashews (vs roasted) it will take less time.

(That said, I used yo soak roasted cashews in hot water to speed it up for other uses, but the same idea)

1 Like

Thanks! I guess that was my other question - raw or roasted :rofl:

Raw

2 Likes

Got it. Thanks!

is that iced tea on the table?

Whatโ€™s the reason for that?

Yes. :grin: :+1:

Probably low clientele traffic since the cafe is new - lamprais requires quite a few different meat and vegetable curries to be pre-cooked, before they can be assembled together in a banana leaf-wrapped parcel and baked.

I do hope theyโ€™ll be able to offer that eventually. One of the dishes I remember from my trip to Colombo a few years back.

Weโ€™re back at Kandy last night to try their lamprais, that famous culinary contribution by Sri Lankaโ€™s Eurasian Dutch Burgher community.

The one here wasnโ€™t very good at all, and certainly a far cry from those weโ€™d had from Kuala Lumpurโ€™s various Sri Lankan eateries., especially Lankan Cafe in Bukit Gasing.

We also ordered some chicken cutlets and fish cutlets, as they reminded us of those delicious morsels we found all over Sri Lanka during our travels there back in 2019. The ones here were very good: freshly-cooked, with golden-crisp exterior, and moist, tasty filling. They are also pleasantly greaseless and, in fact, tasted better than many of those we had in Colombo during our last holiday there.

We also couldnโ€™t resist ordering the egg appams, one of our fave food choices during our previous visit to Sri Lanka.

Condiments for our appam included seeni sambol (spicy, caramelised onions) and a piquant fish curry.

Weโ€™ll probably drop again by for their egg appams, if we happen to be in the neighbourhood.

6 Likes