[Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia] Sri Lankan lunch at Cafe Colombo

Cafe Colombo is one of the more exciting eateries inside the swish new The Exchange at TRX mall in Kuala Lumpur.

Our lunch today:

1. Egg appams with pol sambol (spiced, grated coconut relish) and seeni sambol (caramelized onion relish).
    The egg appams were absolutely beautifully-made and perfectly-shaped. But the time between them getting ready, till they were served to our table was too long - the dish was cold and eggs had hardened a bit. A pity.

1. Fish cutlets - tasty little spherical croquettes: crisp on the outside, with their golden-brown breadcrumbed crusts, and moist, mashed fish-coriander filling.

1. Mutton rolls - quite nice, akin to the snacks I had at railway station eateries in Sri Lanka.

1. Kochchi chicken - the menu attributed it to a recipe from Sir Graeme Thomson (Governor of Ceylon), circa 1931. I think it’s a creation of the restaurant as I’d not heard of this dish in my travels to Sri Lanka. It’s a creamy, smoked chicken (akin to Afghan chicken served in North Indian restaurants), and came with a curry leaf chutney.
    I won’t order this again.

2. Cashew nut curry - very tasty rendition, nicer than the previous one I had at Penang’s Kandy.

3. Cheese paratha - very nice: melted cheese in-between two crisp-edged paratha.

Very popular eatery which filled up quickly at lunch.

Address
Cafe Colombo - The Exchange TRX
L2T.08.0 & L2T.09.0, Level 2, Dining Terrace, Menara Exchange, 106, Lingkaran TRX, Tun Razak Exchange, 55188 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: +6012-763 1596
Opening hours: 10am to 10pm daily

9 Likes